Introducing the EUROCOM 780W Notebook AC Adapter (Clevo & MSI Ready)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mr. Fox, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a heads up for anyone who uses their laptop for work and/or music listening and considering this adapter. While your laptop can be pretty much silent below 50W usage just passively cooling through heatsink, this adapter is not exactly quiet. You can hear the switching noises from the power circuitry (not the fans) easily from 20 ft away in a quiet environment. The PSU fans will kick in fairly loudly for 3 seconds every 5 minutes or so as well.

I'm pretty much choosing between carrying 1 330W 1 780W or 2 330W + combiner box. (beyond 330W my laptop fans will be loud enough to drown out the PSU anyway lol) I think what I'll end up doing is just modding the power combiner box with a longer cable and modding the 330W 4pin cables to be shorter so I have 2 short to combiner with 1 long instead of 2 long to combiner with 1 short, which will work fine even with single 330W since combiner is happy to just pass-through a single adapter.

Ambient noise: 15.1 dB
    Noise @ 1m from powered on 780W adapter (34W load): 25.4 dB
    Unfortunately I don't have a tool that measures A-weighted accurate dB but you'll find that a fan at 25.4 dB is actually a lot quieter to a human ear than the high pitched fast clicking produced by this unit. In comparison my CM U3 Plus laptop cooler with 2 Noctua NF-A12 iPPC 2000 PWM running at 1100 RPM are about the same level of noise at 1m but inaudible beyond 2m. This PSU is still audible at 8m.

Fun fact: Most games seem to only bring me up to around 290W with SLI GTX 1080 and i7-7700k (stock clocks and voltages) so maybe I can get away with just a single 330W adapter... :)

Now the big question of whether or not I send back and pay restocking fees (what are their restocking fees for this adapter?) or sell it to someone on the forum? :S

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    @jcadduono

OMG you're actually in Thunder Bay??

3. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That actually boggles the mind a little. But I believe you.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  4. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My experience is similar. I'm on p870dm3 with 6700k and gtx 1080 sli. When I'm not gaming, just surfing the web, unfortunately the power supply fan is louder than the laptop fans, and it's annoying in that the fan continually oscillates in speed every few seconds. It isn't too bad though, and I definitely don't notice it when gaming or with headphones on, but still a minor annoyance when just using the laptop for basic things. Another minor issue is that the LCD screen will occasionally flash on for a split second when I have the power supply switch shut off but the unit is still plugged in. Not sure why it's doing that. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it, and it's better than lugging around the two 330w power supplies. Unfortunately I couldn't get away with using a single 330w unit. I regularly got over 400w when playing Overwatch and some other games. Happens more especially when hooked up to my external monitor running at 165hz refresh rate.

hmscott likes this.
  5. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah dude is that the "I thought I was the only person in Thunder Bay that exists on the internet" kind of surprise, 'cause I was certain I'm the only one.
    Posted from my "best available" Tbaytel VDSL2 0.6 mbps upload of disappointment.

BTW if you are in Thunder Bay and happened to have a delid tool I will be quite unhappy. I just paid $91 CAD for the Rockit 88 after nearly destroying my 7700k in a vise. <_<

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    No I'm in Toronto - it's just odd/weird/cool to see somebody post here who's actually in TBay.

7. EverNight

EverNight Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm interested in buying one of these adapters..

Before I do though, information related to the adapter's fiability and safety from current/previous owners would be appreciated.

I'm no stranger to toasted motherboards and ****ty power supplies.... The difference now would be that a) i need this computer... b) it's worth about 4 times more than the one that toasted "itself" years ago. ... so my question is ... with this respect ... is this power supply an investment ... or a risk?

I plan on using the laptop for CUDA, as well as conventional software development, while connected to a coprocessor. Essentially... I need all the power i can get. ... and i need to make sure i can control it. ... and because nothing's ever easy... i need it portable as well.
    My current laptop has been known to run at 99% memory and CPU for extended periods (no GPU). ... a hardware comparisson would equivalate it at 37% performance of a P870TM1-G.

There's also no mention of certification as far as i've come across... which is somewhat a cause for concern.

if you know anything about this, own(ed) one, please le tme know what your experience/oppinion is.

Thank you.