Introducing The 2013 Series 7 Chronos with AMD HD8870M!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxelS

AxelS Newbie

Reputations:
    I really really want to buy the 770z5e, but the lack of a proper driver support for the 8870m is a main disadvantage. Without proper drivers it is not clear if i could play games in 1,5 years without graphic bugs. I mean the performance is/will be great without doubt but graphic bugs can really destroy a game experience. In my opinion an notebook with an nvidia gpu is a better choice because of the direct driver support from nvidia.

2. Jako

Jako Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    X-Kom.pl listed ATIV 8 with prices:

NP870Z5E-X01PL with i5 8850 for 5300 PLN (this is the one on youtube video)
    NP880Z5E-X01PL with i7 8870 for 6300 PLN

Prices are similar to the UK and no 16GB version.

3. adibees

adibees Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did Samsung's laptop division get bought over by North Korea by any chance? That's the only reason i can find for the high end stuff not coming to the US :p. But seriously if both models hit the US (Chronos 8870 or Ativ 8) which one would you get?

4. goibhniu

goibhniu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's why manufacturers use them so much...it's an inexpensive way to make the screen look much higher quality than it really is. The downside is that you get ridiculous amounts of glare on them if you have any kind of bright light around.

Of course on the Chronos the glossy screen is for a different purpose. If you have a touchscreen, you might be able to make one that is matte but you'll never get the fingerprints off of it.

The driver support issue is largely a Samsung issue rather than an AMD issue. If Samsung had a laptop with a GT750M chipset there's no reason to expect that Samsung wouldn't customize that hardware to the point that it needs custom drivers as well.

5. Xbuntu_Guy

Xbuntu_Guy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I'd point out that the 17" model with the HD8870 is on sale at Best Buy in the US for $1,149.99, which I consider a pretty good deal. Too big/heavy for me, but if someone absolutely needs the 8870 today this looks like a solid bet.

Samsung NP770Z7E-S01UB

6. pvred11

pvred11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I spoke to their rep on live chat- apparently its available for preorder now and its set to arrive in two weeks

Edit: they edited the listing - you can add to cart now

7. dscott1027

dscott1027 Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Xaphier

Xaphier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. A$1999 is a pretty steep price, definitely much higher than the US pricing. :(

9. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, sure - but I can't get any work done on a tablet, and those long bus commutes are a great opportunity to get stuff done.

10. JTilla

JTilla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.