1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Introducing The 2013 Series 7 Chronos with AMD HD8870M!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipic12

Pipic12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I really like my NP770Z5E laptop but sadly, lately I began seeing screen getting image retention. I don't know if this has to do with the 8.1 update or the screen itself but I'm probably going to use warranty.

2. Alienware99

Alienware99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone- I was thinking about buying this computer as one of my options. One of the reasons I was interested in this laptop is because it has an anti-glare screen. I thought it would work good outside and eliminate annoying reflections. After I read this review Review Samsung Series 7 Chronos 770Z7E Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews I'm having doubts though. The review says, "Only the fact that the brightness is massively reduced on battery power annoyed us. The brightness of our test device suddenly dropped from 272 cd/m² to just 208 cd/m² in the screen's center. That is roughly 25% less. As our pictures show, the laptop is no longer unconditionally outdoor suitable. Its use is very restricted, particularly on bright days. Users who work outdoors should connect the device to the mains where possible." This seems to ruin why I wanted this for being anti-glare. Has anyone noticed this being a problem? It seems like you could just manually bump up the brightness. Is that not possible to do that on battery mode? If so, I don't see why they would do that. Is there any way around it? Appreciate any help.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, it's possible to manually bump up the brightness although it may be necessary to disable the adaptive brightness (which the notebookcheck reviewer might not have figured out).

However, the extra power used by the brighter backlight will significant reduce the battery run time. I measured about 5W difference between the minimum and maximum brightness on my 15" NP900X4C. Nonetheless, the big battery in the NP770 will be good for several hours with a bright display, assuming that you aren't loading the CPU / GPU.

John

4. poiuuyyy

poiuuyyy Newbie

Reputations:
    I was trying to find this online to purchase. I can't seem to find any websites that sell this laptop to the uk. Is it out of production? If someone could link to a retailer, I would be very thankful.

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You will find a few for sale on Amazon UK with some high prices (a sure indicator or no recent stock). Look for NP770Z5E, NP780Z5E, NP870Z5E and NP880Z5E.

A thorough web search might find a refurbished model.

A Haswell powered NP870Z5G is now listed in Germany and some other countries but there seems to be indication of it coming to UK in the near future.

John

6. Alienware99

Alienware99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help John :) I bet you are right with the disable the adaptive brightness. It just seemed like something was amiss with that review. It also makes sense that it would reduce the battery run time. I doubt I would have to run it on its brightest setting all the time. I just wanted to make sure that I do have the option to do so if the situation really calls for it. I was wondering if they were going to release a Haswell one soon. They probably won't have a matte screen though, since touch screen is the new thing. Also it looks like they want to continue with the 15" screen, but don't really care to offer a 17" anymore. Another thing I like about this model is that is has an optical drive. I feel like I still want that option, but it seems like companies are phasing it out anyway. Perhaps I don't really need it and I only think that I do.

7. three0s

three0s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have owned the laptop for about 6 months now, the screen retention problem is getting quite serious. The image around the borders of the screen gets retained as fast as 5 minutes.

8. Kuya Simon

Kuya Simon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe send it in for a replacement? I have the same problem, my computer is being picked by courier tomorrow and back to Samsung... I'm putting the original drive back in this evening and loading the default installation. Hopefully it will be a quick turnaround and I'll have it back within a week.

9. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't there any solution yet to the fact that Samsung hasn't provided AMD Windows 8.1 drivers? Any solution to this as I really just want to install windows 8.1 with working switchable graphics.

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is tons of discussion about this in the owners lounge thread and the 8.1 sticky thread. Links below.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...unge-np770z5e-np780z5e-np870z5e-np880z5e.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...pgrade-until-samsung-has-updated-drivers.html

11. three0s

three0s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I need the laptop for school work, can't really replace it now. Other than that, it took me half a day to open the back lid. I would not like to do it ever again. Please update if you get the laptop back, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.