Introducing The 2013 Series 7 Chronos with AMD HD8870M!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    "The new Series 7 incorporates a new software solution RAMaccelerator which provides up to 150% increase in speed for browsing and running apps by taking advantage of the existing memory. On top of 10-point multi-touch capabilities, it comes wrapped in a full aluminum body and packs an Intel Quad-core processor with up to 16GB of memory, up to 1TB of storage, and dedicated 2GB external graphics."

Samsung Presents Enhanced Series 7 Chronos and New Ultrabooks at CES 2013 - HardwareZone.com.sg

2. raazman

raazman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could it be possible that Samsung might still have had pre production units out at CES and possible that they could still use full body aluminum?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

3. -Jinx-

-Jinx- Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well if the source is reliable then the only logical conclusion would be that of raazman. It does seem weird that in all their computer generated videos and picture the laptop looks one way and the CES model looks different...I'm talking about the top of the screen lid and the sides of the laptop

If it is like this and it will be a full aluminum body with no heating issues then this laptop just went up to the top of my to buy list. However this could bring some bad news also....if the CES pre production model is not the same as the one they will sell then that means that this laptop will be available much later than february since if the body parts are not ready at this point in time it means they still have tons of work to do.

4. derpderp

derpderp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Full aluminium body doesn't matter that much for the cooling imo as moving air through fan exhaust probably account for more than 90% of the heat dissipation. I also don't think it's full aluminium because it's just like the first chronos all over again.
    Actually only the series 7 ultra seems to have a full aluminium contruction (the bottom is brushed and the sides nearly seamless wherease the chronos is matte plastic or aluminium with obvious seams, no one knows yet for sure).
    Anothing thing I noticed about laptops having a fan exhaust in the hinge is that fan noise is directed towards the screen and not the user, it is considerable how louder the fan actually are if you place your head right above the screen rather than where you would be for gaming or typing.
    I'd be more interested in knowing if the heatpipes of the laptop are copper instead of any other cheap metal you actually find in most laptops and if the thermal paste is silver instead of placing a bet and praying for an aluminium casing when it comes to cooling down the new AMD GPU ^^

5. -Jinx-

-Jinx- Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You really misunderstood what i said. I am hoping for a full aluminium body for sturdiness. I am also hoping it will not have a heating problem. The 2 are not linked .....these are 2 separate things that i am hoping for.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It might be an aluminium chassis (more like a skeleton) in which case having a metal base screwed to it might provide only a modest increase in strength. There might be a rational reason for using a plastic base, such as reduced heat transfer through the base (ie cooler when used as a laptop). We shall find out in due course when the product gets into the hands of users.

John

7. phoduma

phoduma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    enough with the aluminum crap

8. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol I agree. This laptop has way more important features than aluminium. 8870m, 11,5 hours of battery life, touch screen(not that appealing to me but perhaps to others), very thin chassis and bezel...

Has anyone seen pictures/videos that are not computer generated of the non touch version with a matte display?

9. smilepak

smilepak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might wait six months for haswell but the real question is how long after that before you see laptop using it corretly ? Look at sandy and ivy....the first round of ultra books were crap...

Should u buy the best of last generation or beta/pilot of next generation ehheh

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. ZeiN7

ZeiN7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I found this in PC Pro , there are models from the new Chrono 7 "M" and "H" . The series 7 Chronos "H" stands for high end and it comes with full aluminum Chassis where as the "M" stands for Medium and it has got an aluminium lid and chassis top only and lower resolution "as well other lower specs"
    Samsung Series 7 Chronos review: first look | PC Pro blog