Introducing The 2013 Series 7 Chronos with AMD HD8870M!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spybenj

spybenj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. -Jinx-

-Jinx- Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @MAC
    Well I don't know how I could have better explained things but let's chalk this up to mere misunderstanding :).

My hate for plastic comes from 4 semesters of "Material Studies" courses during university where i learned exactly it's characteristics and that of metal alloys asswell.

The bottom line is plastics main advantages are reduced weight and elasticity. But in this case that elasticity becomes a disadvantage....i don't want elasticity in my expensive notebook...i want rigidity and torsional stiffness(attributes of metal alloys ). I'm not planing on banging my notebook against the wall so dents are not an issue and regarding scratching...how can u say plastic is more resistant to scratches :)) That makes me just LoL

I agree with u on the carbon part though.

All things aside don't regard my earlier italian bit as me having some problem with italians. I love Italy and the italian people....you brought spaghetti pizza and ossobuco milanese into the world afterall . :D

3. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe you can ask about scratch on aluminum to some iphone 5 owners, and about dents to some HP Envy 15/17 owners (aluminum chassis).
    If you do some Google search you can find the answers.

4. -Jinx-

Reputations:
    Apparently you misunderstood me again. I agreed with you that aluminum gets dented easily BUT I will not bang my laptop against walls so i don't care about this.

Regarding scratching....the problem with the iphone 5 is the coating(paint or whatever you want to call it) on the aluminum that is getting chipped not the aluminum itself.

In addition I'm going to give you a very easy explanation.... While you can scratch a piece of plastic with an aluminum knife you will never scratch a piece of aluminum with a plastic knife....this is the easiest way to show you plastic is less resistant to scratches. It's basically the same principle as the Mohs scale.

5. derpderp

derpderp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I disagree, you'd be right on a microsopic level but plastics are "self-healing" because unpainted plastic, or plastic whose color has been melted into it can get scratched but it won't display a scratch of a very faint one that is still the same color as the plastic. On the other hand anodized or painted aluminium will easily show a scratch when it gets in contact with anything like a particle of quartz out of dust or sand residues.
    A simple example of that is how polycarbonate phones will not be overly scratched after years of use while anything metal will get badly worn and look used.
    Brushed aluminium aswell will look bad after a scratch unless its scratched the very same direction as the brushing effect...
    Aluminium is really not a really good material, overall plastic is better for choc absorption and protecting the internals of the PC aswell as protecting your lap from getting burnt when CPU is in full load or your hands feeling cold in the morning, but, but aluminium is a good eye candy.

6. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No one wants to bang his laptop against the wall, but for example HP has sent to its customers laptop already dented, plastic is more elastic than metal.
    We are speaking of notebooks that by their nature are objects that are often transported, so accidental blows are always possible.
    I'm not so sure that I can't scratch an aluminum panel with a plastic knife specially if it is serrated, but maybe if you are so sure you can try with the laptop of your brother :p

7. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If they would make the chronos out of plastic or whatever material for less money I wouldn't care that much. The specs, mobility and price matter more to me than the looks. The aluminium body is nice to have though but not worth the extra price imo. I hope some company releases a product soon with similar specs and mobility, but cheaper. If worse looks, so be it. Has anyone seen something like that being announced?

8. phoduma

phoduma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do i delete post?

9. -Jinx-

Reputations:
    Ok.... let,s get our facts straight:

@ MAC

All the laws of physics dictate that it is imposible for you to scratch aluminum with plastic no matter how sharp or pointy that plastic is(we,re talking about consumer grade plastics)... you can have a plastic knife with it's edge sharpened to one micron and all it would do is get dull really fast.

@ derpderp

Plastic is not self healing....in general only organic fibrous materials are self healing (wooden chopping blocks for example). I do agree with you that scratches will be less visible on a drab matte piece of plastic than on your shiny new brushed aluminum..... but then again do you really want your laptop to look like that. Most plastic laptops nowadays have some type of gloss or pattern finish on wich scratches will be rather visible...and since it,s plastic there will be far more of them... but this discussion is getting far off track since for me it's not the scratches on the bottom of the chronos i am worried about.

The idea is that 90% of the population will prefer a nice aluminum unibody design rather than a plastic one if we are talking about identical machines from every other point of view

Better shock absorbtion might be the only real advantage that plastics have becaus thermal conductivity is not a disadvantage for me. It,s actually a plus.

I don,t expect my laptop to get hot during browsing or music or any other everyday task that I would be using it on my lap for. And during gaming when it will be on a desk I don,t care that the metal on the bottom will get hot... It will actually help with heat dissipation so I really can,t see the disadvantage. But maybe I'm just special and many ppl are gaming with their laptops on their laps....NOT

10. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This forum is quickly turning into a flame war. I'm saddened by this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.