Introducing: Dell XPS M1730!

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by The Goalkeeper, Aug 4, 2007.

?

Do you like the new XPS M1730?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2007.
  1. Hell yeah!!!

36 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Ewww...

136 vote(s)
    79.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do we know if this thing has DVI/HDMI? That's the main reason I didn't get the 1720.

And why have we been waiting for it, if it was going to ship with only an 8700? My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the 7950GTX beats the 8700-I mean it's just an overclocked 8600.

I assumed we've been waiting for the 8800...so where is it?

I'm torn between this than and a Macbook Pro (main reason I didn't buy THAT is the non user replaceable hard drive, or I would have bought it at launch).

Regarding the looks, personally I don't much care. It's kind of interesting, if nothing else.

2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Where's the so-so option in the poll?

Yeah, they do need a bit quieter of a color scheme. Hopefully they'll take a page from the Inspiron line and offer different options there.

Hopefully by "waiting in the wings" it means the 8700M GT is an upgrade option. If that means it will be offered but not at launch time, the 8600M GS is a very underwhelming max option for a high-end 17-inch model.

Might be worth it if I had millions, but I see no good reason to get it over the 1520 I did get in practical terms.

3. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From what I'm reading now, the 8700GT is a huge downgrade from the 7950GTX.

Where's the 8800?!?

4. sbaybikedude

sbaybikedude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    8800 won't be out for a while from what I heard (maybe another 2-3 months). So Dell can't wait that long to launch the XPS successor. After looking at Inspiron 1720 picture I'm pretty convinced that XPS 1730 is photoshopped from 1720.

[​IMG]

Dimension, shape, even hinges all look identical.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  5. Matholwch

Matholwch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems to me a bit pointless then to wait for the M1730, as the only upside seems to be a better processor. Dell Uk ar no longer charging more for the T7600G (the overclockable version) its the same price as the T7600. A colleague of mine had this laptop on Saturday and has already clocked it to 3Ghz - completely stable.

6. mtor

mtor Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I agree. the white keyboard is horrible.

7. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this looks very similar build to the 1710. Does that mean it might be possible to fit a 8700M in an XPS1710? Replaceable parts basically? :)

I'm surprised Nvidia dont have a deal with laptop company (e.g. Dell) to spearhead their Go 8800 range. Maybe its too early yet?

8. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The last rumor I heard was supposedly Q3...which means this month or next (if the rumor holds true).

Which would be in the right time frame for this system.

I wonder-maybe this system's specs are wrong? Maybe it's really going to ship with an 8700GT for low end, 8800 for high end? THAT would make sense (and is what I was expecting).

Right now, the 1710 is available, and is considerably more powerful.

9. Jonty

Jonty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

I hope it's okay to link to another forum, but you may want to check out the M1730 side and bottom pictures. They indicate that it has a different cooling system to the Inspiron 1720 (multiple fans, which some are speculating/hoping means SLI), as well as things like DVI etc.

It doesn't change the fact that's its ugly or rather thick, but it's certainly not Photoshopped. I'm almost sure there will be other colour schemes, I guess we can only hope that they're a little more 'refined'.

Kind regards

10. knn123

knn123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell has finally nailed it! All they need is some heart shape pokka dots and red ribbons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.