internet wont work with ethernet cable??

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by 2000BAMAGT-S, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2000BAMAGT-S

2000BAMAGT-S Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm running windows vista and when i plug in the ethernet cable which is hooked up to my schools internet it come up as local only.... when i plug the same cord into my roomates laptop with vista it says local and internet.... how do i get that connection to change from just local to local and internet??? thanks

2. Eleison

Eleison Thanatos Eleison

Reputations:
    Does your friend have DHCP enabled or is he using a static IP address? (to check this, go to start -> control panel -> network and sharing center -> manage network connections -> right-click local area connection -> double-click Internet Protocol TCP/IP v4. If it is set to obtain IP and DNS automatically, he is using DHCP)

Make sure your TCP/IP settings match his.

You may also wish to make sure that each one of you is actually pulling an appropriate IP address, if he IS using DHCP. To check this, go to start and type "CMD" in the search box. Open the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" and strike "enter." Look for the statistics for the "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection." You are mainly concerned with the IPv4 address and the Default Gateway. You need to be sure your notebook is pulling the same GATEWAY as your friend's notebook.

3. 2000BAMAGT-S

2000BAMAGT-S Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wow, thank you SO much!!!!!!!1