Internal powered USB 3.0 Hub via DMC [56k Warning]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah Onimusha 1/2/3 is no problem but Dawn of Dreams doesnt seem to want to start for me. Creates a save file and then black screen on 1.5.0 pcsx2. Gamecube versions might run better because of vulkan support though. The m6100 is the card. Performs around 860m levels iirc. Im not too concerned as I plan to get the 980m and just put the 120hz panel back on if it works out. Its likely that running SG mode is suffering performance loss.

MGS3 at 1080p internal resolution has too many slow downs and random artifacts, not wanting to bother with troubleshooting I just went and played MGS5 instead.

EepoSaurus likes this.
  2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was surprised by the phantom pain. Its well optimized. It runs on my 14. Fair enough. Its not for everyone but since i have my 17 i don't really worry about playing everything. Its my pre 2013 games machine and indies they run on anything.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah playing it on the m6100 @ 1080-/medium I think right now. The 17 will be the play everything machine/plex server, with the 13 R3 being the sometimes play but mostly mobile day to day at work machine. I dont know if I will plug in anywhere so I need about 8 hours just in case (might use on train, at school, train back home).

But yes more mods to come from me concerning the Ranger, just need to put in more time. Was hoping @Striker1234 would have his guide out so I can piggy back and do it while I had the machine laid out but no worries. I can wait :)

4. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So. In theory if this works in that slot, wouldn't an m.2 drive?

5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSATA to M.2 SATA works, but MPCIE to NVMe/M.2 PCIE I wonder as well...
    Likely won't be worth it, as it's only a PCIE 3.0 x1 link IIRC, which is just over double SATA 3 speeds

6. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Which is still double the speed though

Sent from my overclocked dumb phone using a smartapp

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but RAID 0 SSD's can match it if speed's what you're after. It's just kind of impractical for the work needed

8. kaibsora

Reputations:
    True true. I dont particularly like raid for this system though. One sad fails and you have to open up the whole machine just to figure it out. The other thing I was thinking about is a usb 3.1/external gpu setup too

Sent from my overclocked dumb phone using a smartapp

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Raid 0 ssd has thus far proven to be useless for consumer workloads, they just aren't dense enough. Maybe that's changed but I won't be changing my mind until I see a new I/O profile.

@kaibsora
    I couldn't say for your if pcie based storage would work or not and may be a fun challenge to figure that out. The driving goal for why I did this was to consolidate into one machine more so than anything else but if more ideas come about from this mod then I can be all the more proud of it lol

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Don’t fool yourself, 4930MX is not capable of 4.5 ghz 4 core reliably, you have to feed it a ton of voltage to get it there, and by that point, it won’t be cooled properly. Best case scenario is 4.3 4 core, and that’s even pushing it. I didn’t not run past 4.1 GHz 4 cores in my systems, and that’s with the beefier Alienware 18 heat pipes and fan + liquid metal because haswell was just too damn hot. It was not ready for the FIVR.