Internal powered USB 3.0 Hub via DMC [56k Warning]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which 1080 are you going with?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The MSI with supplement power input. I will use the GTX 980 mod as a template for the 1080 upgrade from alienwareforum.de

This wont be for a while mind you, I have other things I must do first in my personal life but once those things are settled, maybe in July? Starting from 0 and moving to another country takes a lot of time and effort, Im also reshaping my body as being overweight is not as acceptable as it is in the US. This mod was as much an scratch for a modding itch I have had for a while as it was a distraction from water fasting. Its been 10 days since the last time I have eaten, and for someone that enjoys food a little too much it was quite challenging at first.

3. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can relate, been on nothing but bread, banana's, and soy milk for the last week, really need to improve.
    What I really need to figure out is if my 4900MQ is dead, if it is I'll just go for a temp i3 4000M or maybe a 4810MQ if I have the budget, who knows...

4. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Well I can not speak to most of that and to each their own but It sounds like the mods you are doing are likely to make your laptop not very portable. Might be time for a desktop. I'll sell you mine. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

M18x-oldie and Ashtrix like this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    4810mq should be fine for a while, but I still have the itch to get the 4930mx to 4.5Ghz. There is a lot of wasted space in the chassis for the heatsink, so I will develop a mockup that I will try and have an ebay seller develop for me. Those skills are outside of my ability but if I can make a visual mockup for someone that can, then things change. Same goes for the GPU heatsink. Can probably increase by about 20-30% overall.

Can you imagine trying to bring that on a plane? My AW17 will be what I want out of a DTR. It doesnt need to be day to day mobile, but I need to be able to bring it with me on flights if need be. For day to day mobile I plan to get an AW13 R3. The Ranger still is the perfect machine for me to tailor to me, as everything else is kind of...not my style. I grew up riding my bike 10 miles to school with no school locker so I am used to carrying well over 20 pounds in a backpack if needed.

EepoSaurus likes this.
  6. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Get an Alienware 14. I love mine. It's very portable and on igpu I can get 4 hours on battery. Not to mention the 765m is powerful enough for old games and it emulates ps3 games and down. I love windows 7 too so it has that and I dual boot macos which mostly works.

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I cant seem to get ps2 games working well let alone ps3 on my m6100. Though MGS3, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and other titles like that have much higher requirements.

I'd rather get the AW13 R3. If I get something thicker like the AW14 then I know I will want to mod it, better to get the 13 R3

8. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    14 is alright, but IMO I would go for a thinkpad or latitude and get dual battery's+ low power quad core
    I'm considering a 2015 MBP rn, as someone local is selling the 4980HQ model local for $500, quite a steal considering apple+ebay taxes

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I looked into those, I have one more condition for all my laptops and its that it must have a method of having hangul keyboard. that ruled out a lot of machines for me. The AW13 R3 doesnt have it either but i can sub-plant them from the AW15.

No Hangul, not interested.

10. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    I like the MBP but i owned a 15 and it was too big. Not heavy but wide it defeats the purpose. Also the dedicated card is weak and the 765m outperforms it by 50%. The 13 is perfect for light browsing. But man i gotta tell you the 14 is hard to beat. You can run up to a 4930mx in it and with LM it runs cool. Also slv7 released a vbios for the 765m and it gives it a nice boost.

Thats weird ive been playing gamecube games all day. What card do you have in the m6100? Ive played MGS3 and onimusha on my 14. Definitely able to run ps2 games pretty well. The 765m not as powerful as a ps4 but it does ok. Of course the 2gb vram sucks but i use it for all my old games.