Interactive media + occasional gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Daniil Mor, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Daniil Mor

Daniil Mor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello good people, how are you? I just moved to Canada to study Interactive media. Courses will include animation, 3d, advanced VFX, and so on. Looking for a capable laptop that can help me with these courses plus occasional gaming. I will use It with an external monitor.
    Currently considering MSI GS66, Lenovo 7i/5i, Alienware r3, even Razer but always find something that puts doubts in my mind. Never used them before.
    My PC knowledge is ok, but there are soo many choices I am truly lost.

1) What is your budget?
    2500 CAD(1 827,60 USD) +
    will pay more if it's really worth it

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Razer, Alienware, MSI, Lenovo legion (never used them, just watch some reviews)
    b. Dislike: not sure, need experience but I hear that Razer or Alienware is not worth the price
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    never tried this, and honestly feels risky for that money

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Adobe Suite, Maya, 3dMax, Avid

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    mostly on my desk, sometimes I will need it for presentations (not really a huge problem)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    I would love to, Battlefield 4/5, FarCry, some other AAA games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    not much, I understand batteries in gaming laptops are week

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Of course I would prefer to see it first, but nowadays online option only

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    High Resolution: 1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I feel a glossy screen is a right choice but not really sure. I will by an external monitor

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Well Yes, but if inside worth it, I could live without stylishness

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I have a cloud account. 512 GB will be enough

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4+ years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    well it will be my only laptop, so not very long

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Never used warranty before. I think It does not matter as long as they fix it (or maybe I'm wrong)

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If u're able to wait, Lenovo Ryzen Legion5 will be coming with rtx graphics in 6~8 weeks time, priced competitively, perform competitively.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The MSI GE66 is going to be more powerful than the GS66, though it'll be a little thicker.

For extended warranties, generally don't spend more than 20% of the notebook's price on them. E.g. on a $1,000 notebook, spending up to $200 on a warranty would be acceptable. After that point it doesn't make economic sense. Given how much you're spending, it would be worthwhile to have a three-year warranty. Many parts aren't replaceable on notebook so you'll want to be covered if something breaks.

Charles

4. Daniil Mor

Daniil Mor Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys thank you for your reply. I have been watching and reading about new laptops. There are so so many.

So far I narrowed down to these 2 choices:
    New Alienware m17 R3 i7-10750H, Full HD 300Hz 300nit,16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6, for CAD $2,831.55
    or
    RB Advanced i7-9750H 6 Core, 15.6" Full HD 240Hz, 100% sRGB, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 with Max-Q (8GB GDDR6 VRAM) 512GB SSD (NVMe)
    for CAD $2,599.99 [discount 900CAD]
    What do you think?

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Isn't the Alienware a 17.3-inch screen? That's quite a bit bigger than the Razer 15.6". Both are pretty nice laptops. The Alienware should have better performance with its non-Max-Q (i.e. full power) graphics card.

Charles

6. Daniil Mor

Daniil Mor Newbie

Reputations:
    You right, new m17 is big, I actually prefer a smaller version, but it costs 300CAD more. I thought to choose 17 because it is CAD $2,831.55 and 2070 super. The problem is, it is sold by AmazonCanada, which I heard don't have a warranty. Major flows with AW are soldered parts and extreme overheating for better performance. However, many user do undervolting to keep temp cool, subsequently prolonging the life of a laptop. On the official website, new AW m15 r3 with i7 10 gen, 16 GB, and 2070 super + warranty will be around CDN$ 4000. That's too much for me.

On the other hand, I was told to buy RB advanced for CDN$ 2,599.99 because of the 900CAD discount. The advantages are aluminum body, vapor chamber, 80 Wha battery, and although 2070 max-q is not powerful, it is still enough to play games and do video editing. Also In RB models, you can freely upgrade RAM, storage, and wi-fi card.
    It is sold by Microsoft Canada, which has good warranty options.

Other models cost more or the same:
    MSI GS66 with 2070 MQ is CDN$ 2,599.00. With 2070 super is CDN$ 2,899.00
    Was thinking about MSI GE Series GE66 240 Hz Intel Core i7 10th Gen 10750H (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 16 GB Memory 1 TB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit Gaming Laptop for $2,499.00. However not sure about MSI.
    Lenovo Legion i7 with 2070 super MQ is CDN $3350.

In terms of longevity, I was told RB is better, because of build quality.

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I'd go with the Razer Blade because of its build quality. The MSI GE66 is going to be faster, but its fans are a little loud. The Lenovo sounds way too expensive.

For 1080p gaming, you're not going to be disappointed with the RTX 2070 Max-Q.

Charles

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Blade looks and feels nice, but I wouldn't buy one without some sort of extended warranty from the store (Microsoft, Best Buy) or third party (Amazon/Asurion, SquareTrade).

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I agree. In post #3 I recommended a three-year warranty given how much he's spending.

Charles