Intel's upcoming 10nm and beyond

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Apr 25, 2019.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter what the marketing bs from both sides makes them think they 'want', what most need is a 4C/8T CPU still, even today.

Higher core count CPU's? I'm still waiting for an answer to my pertinent questions from this post here.

We've had higher core count platforms for years now. Nothing has changed.

Spec's, node 'supremacy' and other useless tags and buzzwords that don't bring an equivalent real-world performance increase for the workloads that matter today is the real BS. No matter who is spouting it. :rolleyes:

Talon and AlexusR like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If Intel can't deliver desktop / H level laptop 10nm CPU's, 4c/8t or otherwise - resulting in Intel delivering nothing at all, Intel is in deeper doo-doo.

Intel isn't even giving estimates for delivery of 10nm / 7nm desktop or H level laptop CPU's, Intel has all but given up on giving firm dates, and is hoping no one notices.

After 6-7 years of broken 10nm promises, Intel has entered that rarified realm of fantasy that few commercial companies succeed in reaching...

Intel is firmly ensconced, in the Twilight Zone. :D
    download (7).jpg
    Intel's failures with 10nm are so well worn that Intel needs to start spinning new yarns about 7nm, and how 7nm is going to merge seamlessly with Intel's 10nm fantasies, Intel is now zooming right through the Twilight Zone, and is heading to the outer reaches of... The Outer Limits!!
    outer-limits-logo.jpg
    Intel is so far out in fantasy land it's hard to maintain any semblance of interest in their BS.

I'll wait until the 10nm or 7nm desktop / H level laptop CPU's arrive, until then I'm skipping the intervening 14nm reruns.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Still can't stay on topic, huh?

Intel doesn't have to deliver anything you want, even if they promised it. They're still supplying what most need.

The only one in fantasy land is you it seems. If you can't wrap your head around the fact that mere spec's/nodes/marketing do not a market make.

Talon likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    You are flying under the power of the same rarified fantasy Intel is floating, you aren't even making sense.

"They're still supplying what most need."

Wow, you've given up too. Sorry, it's not easy to take that kind of reality reset, Intel is no longer a trustworthy source for silicon process progress promises.

What a sad day.

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I asked you and anyone else to show me why a high multicore CPU platform was 'required' today. No answer.

The AMD fairy dust must be powerful if you can keep deflecting a direct question over and over.

For the record, yeah, I've admitted many times that a high core count platform is exactly what a small minority need, but that doesn't change the fact that jack and jill checking their facebook 200 times a day needs it too. The sad part is you believe it to be so.

Edit: AMD is not immune to changing previous rollouts either, here is the latest example.

See:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-third-gen-threadripper-roadmap,39254.html

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed. Most consumers today do not need a 6, or 8, or 12 and 16 core CPU. Most would be fine with a dual core, 4 threaded CPU easily and still have power to spare. The server segment is a different beast all together which is why Intel seems to be targeting that first for upgrades. The laptop/ultrabook segment is also another money maker and larger segment than power HEDT users. Again it will see the first roll out next month on 10nm. Again we will see desktop 10nm or 10nm+ when we see it. For now most users with a 14nm+++++ CPU are going to be just fine waiting until then without issue or missing night and day performance jumps. Since I game at 4K 144hz I think I will be waiting for 7nm Intel parts in couple years and focus on GPU upgrades from this point on unless either company pulls a huge performance jump out of their hat.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    You people (not all of you but a few most vocal) take this brand dislike to another level. I swear, it's like it brings you erotic pleasure, or you get paid to criticize Brand X (replace Brand X by AMD/Intel/Alienware/MS/Nvidia/EA/Epic). Don't you have more interesting things to do? Serious question.

Instead of arguing about rumors or about "nm" values (which will NOT automatically give better performance than other brand's product which uses higher "nm" process) or about hardware or software some of you won't even use because you are too old to enjoy it (meaning you don't enjoy playing games or you don't enjoy maximizing performance of your system in benchmarks) or because it won't fit your usage (in case of 16-core CPUs, which are not required by vast majority but might still be useful to few people) why not do something else like help someone with an issue or perhaps play a video game (if you are not too old to enjoy these), or watch someone else streaming it on Twitch/YouTube? Or perhaps discuss your favorite TV series or Anime series or maybe a sports game. You know, just like rational, mentally stable (without OCD) people do ;-) As of right now, both this forum section and Gaming section reminds me of this comic:

[​IMG]

tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Quoting myself (for ~3 years now...) "I asked you and anyone else to show me why a high multicore CPU platform was 'required' today. No answer."

And still no answers to this very simple question, but thanks anyway. ;)

Sunny Cove arch and beyond is very interesting to read about, hope to see it arrive soon at a Lenovo near me. When Intel offers that kind of information, they've usually followed up with better than expected results. What I have also discovered and have repeated here endlessly is that the spec's still are not fully indicative of the platform as a whole either, in every-day use. In other words, buy the latest and most powerful platform, always and period, for the workloads you rely on today, to be as productive as you can.

And, it's not the 10nm node that has me excited about SC, it is the design changes underneath that make it worth waiting for if it will be delivered in the next ~130 days or so. At least for a near-future, mobile platform upgrade.

The reasons stated by Intel for their abysmal 10nm 'delivery', even it that officially happened in 2017 with a single product, actually makes sense and shows how the company has made changes so that something similar doesn't happen again. Much more than I ever heard any other company state when their spin at/near the top went out of control and they were left holding the steering wheel when going downhill full speed and with no brakes either.

AlexusR, it is not a matter of being simply too old to play games or to maximize benchmarks or watch some mindless video, it is a matter of perspective. If that is what you see as 'fun', more power to you. To me, it is worse than work; it is a waste of my time. Just like TV and sports are too, for me. Family and spending my time with them is what is actually important, not what I can do with tech, which I consider simply as a tool, like a hammer or a screwdriver is to a carpenter. ;)

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    IMNSHO, few things are more important than punching through the societal web of lies and deceptions that take advantage of most, holding them back from reality.

Picking at the edges of what is false and deceptive until you can peel off that thin veneer and show the long obvious truth's hidden from view of the in-attentive is my job day to day, and has been for 40 years and more. It's like second nature with me, that's why I can see it from a distance while others can't even see it when it's staring them in the face. That's why I solve problems much faster than most.

It's amusing for some to turn discussions personal - I suppose for you?, I don't find it interesting as I don't get off on it, but apparently you do, right? It's easier to devolve a conversation into personal jabs instead of addressing the issues technical and factual in a real sense, so you can avert your eye's from the uncomfortable truths.

That's why you took it away from being a factual technical discussion based in the reality about how Intel has failed for 6-7 years to deliver products based on 10nm. Intel can't defend it, and you certainly are unable to do so.

And now Intel is so overextended on their promises for 10nm product delivery that Intel's credibility has disappeared completely.

Intel can no longer rely on even the most rabid Intel devotee's to swallow further 10nm BS, so now Intel is doubling down on their 10nm fantasy world by adding promises for 7nm - not because they can do it, but because it's the next expected progression in the process.

"Oh, so Intel is going to follow 10nm with 7nm, that makes sense; I guess everything is going to be ok after all. And, I can continue to buy 14nm CPU's until Intel delivers 10nm or 7nm. Hey!!, now we've got 2 chances to win with Intel!!" - Hopelessly Gullible Intel Devotee's

Even @tilleroftheearth and @Talon can't possibly defend Intel's continuing failures, so now all of a sudden the guys telling everyone that the Intel 8c/16t 9900K overheating when OC'ing is the "Bee's Knee's" while drawing 400w on a 95w TDP, isn't what most people need - they can live with 2c/4t CPU's, that'll do'em!

If you've been blinded by the corporate BS line for so long you can't see or speak the truth, it can be painful to see. I'm one of the few that bothers to try to punch through the BS and wake at least a few people up to look and re-evaluate what's going on in the cold clear light of day.

There are plenty of rah-rah Intel / Nvidia fan's out there. One lone factual truth teller can't bring them down. Don't worry about that. They'll be fine.

The only danger is I might wake you up, and yes - I am talking about you. Whoever you are. Stop wasting your money on their overpriced BS, and start getting value for your money.

Sharp smart, Shop S-Mart ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    It is not required, of course, just useful to some people in a very limited cases ;-) And yes, some exaggerate the importance of it (same goes true for everything else like importance of "7nm" or whatever), but that's just the kind of people they are - they desperately try to find any theoretical reason to win their argument. Because sadly some people have lost any meaning of life other than winning those and even more sad that they cannot comprehend this fact anymore ;-)

But again, this is not important at all. What's important is to spend your time on more useful or pleasurable things.
    Well, there you go, this is much more productive or at least more pleasurable than arguing about brands, "nm" numbers, theoretical performance of future architectures and limited usage cases on forums ;-) That was my whole point.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
    Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.