Intel XTU and ThrottleStop no longer working to undervolt Xeon E-2186m after firmware update

Discussion in 'HP' started by ssupernovae, Jan 3, 2020.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because 4.0Ghz is the all core clock that your CPU can run, stop using the high performance options that only put your cpu at high clocks making the laptop run hotter and drain the battery faster AND because all cores are being boosted you lose the higher turbo boost clocks that are allowed when less cores are being used..

Regarding the undervolt, rename the microcode update file in the System32 folder so that windows wont update your cpu microcode, thats due to a flaw in the SGX and a thing called Plundervolt.

2. Silverusaf99

Silverusaf99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what i could disable in bios was "intel speed step," it said it would keep my cpu at highest freq...but xtu is only showing 4.0

Attached Files:

• brah.jpg
      brah.jpg
      File size:
      372.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    what's the name of this microcode file? do i not need to regress my BIOS?

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll located in C:\Windows\System32 rename it to something like mcupdate_GenuineIntel_backup.

Then reboot and check your undervolt.

If you didn't update your BIOS there is no need to downgrade anything.

5. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    itired to take ownership of mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and everything's greyed out in the objects subpanel...ie, users, admin, all the privs everything...

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    copy it to your desktop, change the name on desktop, delete the file that is on system32, replace with the already name changed one, dont think you can change the name of the file while its on the system32 folder.

7. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    can't delete the file that's in sys32...copied to dsktp and changed name, moved it into system32...but cannot delete...i tried figureing out the inheritance issue in RE: to the containers allowed as in "trustedblah" as in "disableinheritance" or tried to find the parent container that does indeed own the dir/files, but everything's greyed out...even searching for new containers, ie, usr,grps, etc...but i'm missing the mark here..i hope someone w/ more knowledge on elevated privs/active dir can helps me out...
    --
    i read that b/c im on win10 home this changes back to a troble for me next update. i am assume it his is nOT the case as the micro file is not found.

8. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    hello i cannot install 1.11bios from 1.12 via exe, what can I even do now?

9. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    i have bios reversion premitted in bios for my g7 7790, and have sgx settings off...

10. Silverusaf99

Reputations:
    i removed that file...(ugh. finally), and am not able to undervolt anything...