Intel XTU and ThrottleStop no longer working to undervolt Xeon E-2186m after firmware update

Discussion in 'HP' started by ssupernovae, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Count me in the got-my-undervolt-back club too. It was the BIOS after all, not Windows updates. I downgraded my EliteBook 840 G6 to the R70 1.03.03 BIOS dated October 2019, available here. The BIOS starting with R70 01.03.04 stop undervolting.

I also disabled Intel SGX in the BIOS which is what was preventing the InSpectre tool from working, so all that stuff is disabled too.

My laptop is now so dangerous it's exciting.

Charles

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Thats good.

Changes with the R70 VERSION: 01.03.04 REV: A PASS: 1
    upload_2020-1-15_4-41-27.png
    https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/838/col91900-ob-242489-1-ob-242489-1_sp100135_releasedoc.html

Any of the fixes still there after rollback? ME, EC etc. Checked Microcode in TS?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Intel ME version is the same, I looked at that last night. I'll have to check the CPU microcode later, I don't have my laptop with me. (Edit: Per TS, my CPU micro code is 0xC6.)

Undervolt -109.4 mV on CPU core/cache, Turbo Power short is 51W for 4 seconds, Turbo Power long is 28W (up from factory 18W). I also repasted the CPU with AS5.
    CPU temps reach the upper 80s/lower 90s during Cinebench but not 99 C like stock. Best Cinebench R15 run with those settings is below. Stock I think I got 628 cb.

I ended up reducing Turbo Power Short to 40W for 2.5 seconds, I was occasionally hitting 99 degrees C. 51W is just too much for the heatsink. I also reduced Turbo Power Long to 23W and things are nice and cool, the CPU hasn't topped 90 degrees in days.

CinebenchR15.jpg

Charles

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  4. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FFS, I should probably save some of these undervolt capable BIOSes, huh... At least rollback is possible. Last time I tried it on Elitebook/ZBook said I can't revert to older versions.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For quite a while the BIOS based flash and Windows based winflash wouldn't let you install an older BIOS than was currently running. You can add /nodate to the command line for winflash and that will allow flashing an older BIOS:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-after-firmware-update.831546/#post-10980512

It looks like some BIOS will allow regressing the BIOS to an older version, YMMV. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Papusan and jotm like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Excellent method to obsolete laptops, new and old!
    Glad this worked. I wonder if some of us will not have the option to roll back bios.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just updated my HP KBL-G i7-8705G from 0xc6 to 0xca. According to Intel https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-Files/releases, KBL-G 0xc6 and WHL-U 0xc6 microcode are released in the same batch 20191115. Throttlestop can still modify frequency and voltage without any issue. My guess is that HP may only block undervolt on business/enterprise models and leave it on for consumer ones.

maffle and hmscott like this.
  8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How would SGX prevent "InSpectre to work". That is nonsense. InSpectre just sets two registry entries you can set yourself too if you want:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ive-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

To disable all mitigations for Intel CPUs:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

The InSpectre tool has a bug. The toggle buttons show no toggle if you press it once, you have to toggle them a few times on/off/on/off to make it show correctly. Also you have to start it with administrator rights.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    hmscott likes this.
  9. Silverusaf99

Silverusaf99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i got a dell g7 7790, w/ i7 9750h 2.6-4.5ghz...but after my update XTU doesn't let my golden -145 undervolt anymore...
    --
    i googled and ppl are flat out reverting from 1.12 to .9 or whatever regress bios...how?
    --
    also i can't get anything over 4.0 ghz...
    --
    also i noticed a setting (hopefully it's in my old bios i need to revert to) that say it'll keep me at highest cpu clock 40evas...i clicked it...and i'm always at 4.0ghz, but not 4.5 despite even XTU saying 4.5 is my highest
    --
    also now with that "stay at highest setting in cpu" actually unchecked whatever it was called to make it stay at highest (haha, verbage)...XTU says sugested settings is to: "Intel Turbo Boost Technology; Disable"
    --
    whaever i unchecked i'll write it down and come back and edit my post here...but i love it if it's actually keepingme at 100% all times...but ony at 4.0? wtf!

10. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: