Intel XTU and ThrottleStop no longer working to undervolt Xeon E-2186m after firmware update

Discussion in 'HP' started by ssupernovae, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It turns out my EliteBook 840 G6 won't undervolt. Maybe Windows Update nuked it as I did see a few Intel-branded updates installed over the last week.

Not sure if it's related, but using the InSpectre tool, I can't disable the Spectre protection. Clicking the button does nothing. So maybe that's locked out too. I never tried it until today so I don't know if this was always the case.

Charles

maffle, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I can't remember the last time the InSpectre tool actually worked. It worked fine when it was first released but with the constant Windows updates it stopped doing anything and I reckon the developer has just given up on it.

hmscott and Charles P. Jefferies like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You are probably going to try this already, but if not it would help to know if any of the recent updates can be uninstalled to restore undervolt.

Also if you can still undervolt in the BIOS before Windows loads - does that BIOS set undervolt persist through boot into Windows even with the new Intel firmware installed by Windows Update.

Hopefully one or both of those 2 workarounds can restore undervolt.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have you checked the Intel Microcode version with Hwinfo/Throttlestop? I can't see what Intel branded update that could do this. Not even sure Microsoft have created a new Microcode.

Edit.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

Not sure what you use to stop unwanted updates. If you're able to roll back to working state maybe give this tool a try. StopUpdates10 — New tool to stop Windows Updates +++. It will run in the background but maybe still worh a try.

Or the usual tweaks http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1087#post-10980641
    Have always worked for me. Whatever OS version. Same for bro @Mr. Fox

I know you have had problems but say it don't work is wrong.

I'm on Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 (1809) and with latest build. InSpectre works and I got my highest CBR-15 score with it http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-1868#post-10982545
    upload_2020-1-11_8-33-11.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Ashtrix, hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For the Microsoft overlay of Rev. 0xBA that lock only holds true after Windows loads, right? So if your BIOS will allow a negative undervolt you could set it there before entering Windows and after entering Windows no changes could be made, but the BIOS undervolt would still be valid?

What about replacing the microcode store installed by the MS patch? Or finding the specific patch from Windows Update and uninstalling then blocking that?

Any other ideas on how to block or reverse this?

We've already verified it's possible to reverse the voltage locking BIOS update, and revert to the previous BIOS (winflash /nodate if needed) and that reverses the lock on voltage tuning from the BIOS side.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I'm so glad that the cancer micro-code has no effect on my desktop's X299 CPU. It's nice having no SGX support whatsoever at the hardware level. It's patched for Plundervolt nonsense, but it hasn't affected it at all.
    5200.JPG

8. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would you mind sharing a link? I only see the latest BIOS on the website now.

hmscott likes this.
  9. marckus

marckus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    martin778 and hmscott like this.
  10. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got it! Undervolting is back, now -130mV and 1700pts on the 9880H n Cinebench R15.