Intel XTU and ThrottleStop no longer working to undervolt Xeon E-2186m after firmware update

Discussion in 'HP' started by ssupernovae, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I flashed my MECH-15 BIOS mod using an SPI programmer to get around the signature bull crap. It should be possible unless the system has BIOS Guard. Many newer Dell and Alienware laptops cannot be flashed with unsigned firmware even using an SPI programmer because of that filth. I know some of the other notebook manufacturers may be using that now, but I am not sure which of them are doing so. The only fix for that is replacement of the PCH chip with another one that does not have that payload of rubbish. But, it may be possible (not sure) if you are using the SPI programmer to flash signed firmware.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  2. marckus

marckus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I can also confirm that the latest bios update for the Zbook 15 g6 disables undervolt. I have the i7 9850h and I tried undervolting with with both XTU and throttlestop and it would not apply any settings. I just reverted back to the previous bios version and undervolting works again.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Excellent!, thank you for trying out regressing the BIOS, glad to hear that works :)

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It would be nice if people with new bios update that <disables undervolt> could test out if disabling the SGX features can regain undervolt functionality. Please, check it out properly before you roll-back to old working bios.

maffle and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Didn't Intel say to disable SGX *until* the voltage adjustment disable firmware patch was available for your motherboard? I wouldn't expect disabling SGX would re-enable voltage adjustments.

It's worth a try I guess, @marckus would you like to give it a shot?

If your BIOS allows disabling SGX - you might check that first - then disable SGX and install the voltage tuning killing BIOS again... yikes... then see if your undervolt still works with SGX disabled?

Thank you! :)

Papusan likes this.
  6. marckus

Reputations:
    Did not know about SGX before i rolled back to the old version, will give it a try and see if it works

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's up to the ODM/OEM manufacturer how they will implement the new security fixes.
    Thanks. +rep

8. marckus

Reputations:
    I tried the new bios update for the zbook 15 g6 and disabled SGX, but undervolting still would not work.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Thank you for checking that out @marckus, now at least we know for sure that the BIOS firmware patch will disable undervolting no matter what the SGX setting.

You were able to revert back to the previous BIOS again ok?

What method, tool, or command did you use on your laptop to regress to the previous BIOS?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  10. marckus

Reputations:
    I just downloaded the older bios installer from the hp site. It asks for you to input a code written on the screen if you want to revert, but if you follow what it says on the same screen it should be OK.

You may need to check if reverting to older bios versions is permitted in the bios options and un check it before you attempt to revert.

Everything works well after downgrading to the older bios.

hmscott likes this.