Intel XTU and ThrottleStop no longer working to undervolt Xeon E-2186m after firmware update

Discussion in 'HP' started by ssupernovae, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ssupernovae

ssupernovae Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was using ThrottleStop to undervolt the Xeon E-2186m on the ZBook 17 G5 to reduce temps, and everything was golden until applying the latest firmware. MB BIOS Q70 Ver. 01.09.01 and CPU microcode Revision BA are installed.

If anyone with an HP Probook, EliteBook, or, especially a ZBook that has the latest firmware could please check if you are able to still undervolt with TS or XTU, I would be interested to see if it's just my system.

2. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's to be expected. Google "Plundervolt". Intel is going to disable the ability to change VCore on ALL CPUs via Microcode Update for a very far fetched security risk....

hmscott, Mr. Fox and unclewebb like this.
  3. ssupernovae

Reputations:
    So you need root privileges to even execute Plundervolt? If someone's gotten that far, an attack by VCore is the least of your worries. :rolleyes:

unclewebb and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Perhaps a more wide-spread NBR site wide alert to not update your Intel BIOS past a certain date or you might lose your undervolting ability might be in order?

Using the command-line in a "run as administrator" cmd or powershell, add /nodate to your winflash string to install the older BIOS version than is currently installed:

winflash /nodate

Hopefully this still works, I haven't had to do it myself for a few years.

There may be vendor specific options that you need, that one above is for Asus laptops. Look up your make / model command line BIOS flash instructions and add /nodate to try to regress the BIOS for your make / model.

There have been times in the past where regressing the BIOS to the previous version is not enough to get rid of all the changes the undesired BIOS install left behind.

Someone will have to try regressing their BIOS to the previous version and report back if it works or not on their make / model.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, there were already reports of the cancer update with some HP Omen owners a couple of weeks ago, almost immediately after it was unleashed on unsuspecting victims. This is sad, as the average Joe will jump on BIOS updates just because "new is always better" in the flawed assumption of the masses. Those that know better know that newer has seldom been better for the past few years now. The bitter truth of the matter is the only truly safe computer (or tablet, or smartphone,) is the one that is turned off and disconnected from power. But, running with scissors is a far greater risk than Plundervolt.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Always do your due diligence if you absolutely has to jump on any new bios/firmware updates. Ask, ask and again ask the different guinea pig what is changed with latest and greatest. And don't trust answers from only one of them.

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. ssupernovae

Reputations:
    It's such a far fetched risk. I can't even..

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Even if it were not far fetched, a 'fix' that results in the product being impaired directly and immediately is not acceptable. Better to leave it vulnerable. A case of the cure being worse than the disease. A cure for diabetes that causes cancer cannot be viewed as a legitimate option.

Papusan likes this.
  10. ssupernovae

Reputations:
    Indeed. I wonder if it's possible to flash the EEPROM externally without having to desolder.