Intel will follow Nvidia regarding castration of the amount cores for their coming Cpus in notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Oct 3, 2021.

?

What do you think about the direction the OEMs have staked out for tomorrow's (gaming) notebooks?

1. Disgusting...

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Ok/ perfectly fine for me...

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Haven’t made up my mind yet...

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Intel will follow Nvidia regarding castration of the amount cores for their coming Cpus in notebooks vs desktops.

Its already widely known that the graphics cards (silicon) used in etc 3080 notebooks isn't the same GPU as in the 3080 desktop cards. They also skrapped the faster GDDR6X vram for their 3000 series graphics cards in laptops. Known as Ampere arch. Castrating the TGP/TDP wasn't enough to be able to put it into todays new thinner and skinny gaming laptop design. And differerent graphics TDP depending on the cooling for same SKU names is a way to further water-down the performance vs the real desktop graphics in same series as etc 3080 in desktop builds. Damn disgusting.

Yep the sick direction/trend for (gaming) notebooks goes the wrong way. All the hardware manufacturers as Intel, Nvidia and AMD seems to help the notebook OEMs to create even thinner and lighter joke-books with sleek and pretty Apple design at the expense of raw/better performance. This is just sad.

Alleged Intel Alder Lake Mobility CPU Roadmap Leaks With 14-Core Flagship hothardware.com | 3rd Oct 2021

Depressing songs for depressed people 1 hour (sad music mix)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The future is bleak for technology if you are a PC enthusiast, and bleakness starts and ends with the pathetic trash called notebooks. The thin and light, long battery run-time sheeple are destroying all things related to PC and we are swiftly approaching a time with nothing, anywhere, is going to be worth a damn. We're already on the threshold of that right now. It sure didn't take very long for the brain cancer to metastasize.

Some folks actually get excited about it.
    upload_2021-10-3_9-37-30.png upload_2021-10-3_9-40-31.png

3. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Technically speaking he is wrong. First of all ADL-P with a max core count of 6+8 gives 14 cores which is a bit more than current gen has to offer and secondly there is also a ADL-S BGA version coming with 8+8 cores: https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2021/07/Intel-Alder-Lake-Mobile.jpg

He might ignore the efficient cores and doesn't count them but that is another thing. Alder Lake-P isn't just a higher end mobile, it will replace the current TGL-U 15-28W lineup with only 4 cores. ADL-P looks much more capable to me.

dmanti and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  4. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think he meant there's a different version of the design instead of disabling 2 defective cores for the 6+8 from a 8+8. There's always a Clevo/Tongfang variant every now and then.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    To be fair Intel has already been doing this right?

I mean we have 10 cores in mainstream 10 series but laptops never got a 10 core, only 8.

If we count HEDT then it's a whole different story.

ADL-P is 6+8 from what they're saying and ADL desktop flagship is 8+8 so it's missing two cores just like 10 series 10900K vs laptop 10980HK.

6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    I honestly stopped caring about gaming notebooks when the marketing for them became "more RGB"

7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Switching laptops forever!

Reputations:
    @Papusan Intel is dead to me, the 11700kf inside my x170km-g just makes me wish more for a ryzen cpu to take it's place. It's only a matter of time before Clevo switches the flagship with a ryzen cpu instead of an outdated inefficient space heater intel chip. Why is an 8 core 16 thread cpu drawing 250w under load at stock? Even with an undervolt, this is unacceptable lol.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Trust me... Ryzen isn't a barrel of monkeys. I find it severely overrated and the shortcomings glossed over by Team Red fanboys. Lots of things about it leave something to be desired. I like some things about my 5950X, but there are just as many things about it that I hate. If I could have a do-over I would stick with the 10900K and Z490 Dark motherboard that it replaced. Overall, the 10900K was a better product than 5950X.

And, that USB drop-out thing that AMD claims they fixed. It's not fixed. It might not be as bad as it was in the beginning, but it still happens randomly. That doesn't excuse the icky path Intel is taking, but some of what they are doing replicates some of what is wrong with Ryzen.

And, heat? An overclocked Ryzen CPU runs just as hot, clock-for-clock and watt-for-watt, maybe even a little hotter, than an Intel CPU based on my experience. The main differences are Ryzen firmware absolutely sucks and Ryzen CPUs don't overclock as well. I would say AMD memory latency is horrible, but 11th Gen Intel is giving them a run for the money on who can reach the bottom the fastest on horrible memory latency. With Intel you can tune away a lot of that latency problem through custom memory configuration, but that doesn't solve it for Ryzen.

Vasudev, Papusan, Clamibot and 2 others like this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Switching laptops forever!

Reputations:
    The systems I’ve used Ryzen with on the 5xxx series haven’t had any usb dropout issues, I’ve noticed compared with my intel water cooled setups that amd runs way cooler as it pulls way less wattage. For an overclockers perspective where performance is key yes Intel is better no doubt, more turning, better overclocking even a better feature set. AMD have a lot to learn but for a laptop that you want at stock with the full performance it’s capable off I know a 5900X - 5950X wouldn’t throttle in this chassis whereas an i7 - i9 11th gen would. Moral of the story is, I should have gone with 10th gen, a 10900k specifically, that with 10 cores sucked less power than my 11700kf and temps could be controlled easily.

In conclusion both have flaws, but if you want stock performance without tuning I think Ryzen is the way to go, for me personally it’s just worked no ifs or buts, no undervolting needed, no tuning needed nothing. On intel this is a reoccurring theme especially in laptops. I would say one thing, Ryzen is picky about ram, but the x170km has been plagued with ram issues already…

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Most likely it's reading VID, not vcore.
    Most of the time the real power draw is anywhere from less to substantially less compared to what SVID is reporting.
    SVID allows communication for the CPU to share VID with this protocol, and I'm not sure where it gets amps from. Probably another register in the CPU, which then saves power draw as a third register.
    But this all depending on the default values your board uses.
    It's difficult to know without direct access to the VRM.
    How accurate your power draw is wrt reality depends on the AC and DC Loadline values as well as your board adheres to Intel's stock Loadline spec for that platform (typically 1.1 mOhms on Z490/Z590)
    ACLL is the voltage supply and DCLL is the voltage measurement (used in both power measurements and calculating final VID). The only way your power draw is going to be accurately reported is if "DC Loadline" in milliohms is equal to the VRM's stock loadline value the motherboard(laptop) is using. DCLL can be changed in the internal VR settings (on APTIO Bios) but it has almost no effect on real vcore or power draw, just reporting (there is apparently "some" very minor effect that seems to affect low power states in some way or affects the V/F curve). There is supposed to be a "DC Loadline Override" option on APTIO in "Overclocking performance menu", that "theoretically" is supposed to actually change loadline calibration itself somehow through SVID, but the few people who tested that on Z370/Z390 "laptop" boards, said it was non-functional. Probably the laptop has the VRM loadline completely hardwired.