Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Cyclone Peak 2)/AX201 (Harrison Peak 2)/Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I tagged Merlin but he still didn't reply. Another d00d replied and told me to check the link speed in Windows that would tell me if I'm actually connected with the new 160hz standard and the first time I connected the links speed was only 865MBPS but now it shows 1.2GBPS so I guess I'm good

2019-05-13_001807.jpg

Aivxtla likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1.2 Gbps is HT80 AX max link rate.

HT160 simply means it uses double the channels. It could just be that it’s adjusting link rates based on signal like normal. So it may jump to 1.8/2.1/2.4 Gbps depending on signal quality.

Additionally HT160 on Lower channels (5G-1) you can use a combination of non-DFS (36-48) and DFS (52 and above) channels meaning if a DFS detection event or even a false detection occurs it will drop you to HT80 without issue.

Problem using HT160 on upper channels (5G-2) is that you are stuck with only DFS channels for HT160 so if a similar event occurs the router might drop all clients rather than shift you to the non-DFS channels which are (149-167). Plus also know that regulations say that at least once a day for 60 seconds the router when using DFS channels, should scan for priority use (ie Radar), which can result in dropped connections.

If you really need HT160 keep it enabled only for 1st 5Ghz radio would be my suggestion.

Overall stability and range, latency will usually be better on HT80 as there is less chances of interfering with nearby APs/Routers.

HT160 has been pretty stable (RAX120 & RAX80) for me but I do get the occasional drops due to DFS detection (not sure false or real). Only my laptop drops as it is in HT160, the HT80 clients stay connected.

TLDR- Keep HT160 enabled but if you notice connection drops, the above reason is probably why and so you may be better of disabling it in that scenario.

I attached a channel combination chart below if you are interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    WhatsThePoint and Ultra Male like this.
  3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ultra Male Good Luck with the new Asus AX11000 router.I was about to buy one myself from Newegg before I opted into the Netgear Premier program for a 1 year lease on an RAX120 with update option.Still wondering if I made the right choice.I've never owned an Asus router.

4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Loving it so far. And man, the UI for the Router is the best I've seen in any router. I mean the ASUS UI has always been the easiest to deal with but this one is modernized and looks awesome.

Other than that, the connection has been super fast with no latency and no disconnections and that's with the Trend Micro Antivirus that's built into the router turned on.

Plus, it comes with a 3 year warranty from ASUS.

2019-05-13_232348.jpg

jaybee83 and Papusan like this.