Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Cyclone Peak 2)/AX201 (Harrison Peak 2)/Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @WhatsThePoint @downloads

Just bought an ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 to try out the new AX Standard. I searched for the Nighthawk AX12 here in Dubai but no one is selling it and I'd rather buy something with local support than ordering it online.

Setting this Rapture is probably the easiest setup I've come across in any router. Just entered my ISP username/pass, chose the Wireless SSDI and bam, I was ready to surf.

I did also enable the AiProtection, don't know if that hurts performance or not. Do y'all have any experience with it?

Dennismungai likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be fine with AI Protection (Trend Micro). It sends any suspicious packet info to Tren Micro for analysis. Most people have no issues with it. Some have had latency/streaming issues a while back. I personally disable all that but honestly just keep it on unless you face any such issues. I personally haven’t seen those I know with Asus routers having any issues with AI Protect.

As for your purchase I think it’s a better buy than the RAX120 (love the Qualcomm chipset in the 120), because there is more to a router than just great hardware. Asus has a better overall product due to the software and extra options that give you more control over your hardware.

The AX11000 is practically the same as the unreleased RAX200 in terms of CPU/WiFI chipset etc just that they have different board layout, external looks and branding. The Asus is not only cheaper but you get things like third party VPN support and VPN split tunneling. You can choose which devices get VPN and which devices bypass it. Asus also has much better monitoring features and gives more control over the QoS function. You can also see real-time link rates of individual clients in the router UI.

Lastly RMerlin is beloved in the Asus community for his custom firmware and seems Asus is actually pretty supportive of him so do try his firmware if you want. RMerlin is a mod on SNBForums infact.

TLDR: Good purchase and leave AI protect on unless you face issues.

Dennismungai and Ultra Male like this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Thanks man, I am using Smart Connect. Is there a way to find out if my laptop (INVADER) is connected to the 160hz or the regular one?

2019-05-12_015025.jpg

4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Look at the image again you see in the signal part where it shows Ethernet, 2.4, 5G-1 and 5G-2 , that tells you which band you are on. Looks like your laptop is on 5G-2.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So I'm assuming 5G-2 is the new 160hz band?

6. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Before I say something wrong, go to this page and show the setup. I have more experience with the AC88U. But both 5G-1 and 5G-2 bands should be able to support HT160.

Difference on Triband routers vs Dual Band routers is that in Triband the 5Ghz band is split in such a way that one radio covers (ie 36-52) the lower half and the other (149-167) the upper half of the 5Ghz spectrum.

Attached Files:

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Here's how mine looks like:

ggg.jpg

8. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    I was expecting HE frame support (AX) in that image.

Go to the WiFi settings and enable HT160 for both 5Ghz bands, if it isn’t already. It should show HT160 availability for both. From the looks of the very first image your laptop is in 866Mbps link rate.

Attached Files:

Ultra Male likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip, they were enabled by default

fffffffff.jpg

10. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    I would assume HT160 is enabled on both 5Ghz bands but it’s hard to tell if it’s working with Smart Connect enabled.

Looks like that’s as far as I can help you without being able to look at it in person. I suggest you go to SNBForums and specifically ask RMerlin himself.

Sorry I wasn’t much help.

Ultra Male likes this.