INTEL VS AMD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by LaMOi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking like single is decent at this point...

2. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:

If you know what you’re doing!

I wouldn’t therefore feel confident to push my computer to its limits...

I wouldn't want to break anything! Lol

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're new to overclocking or haven't done it before, you'll be fine messing around with the CPU multipliers as long as you don't overvolt the CPU. That's pretty much how I started learning how to overclock. The worst thing that will happen in that scenario is that your system crashes and shuts off, then restarts (without any damage). There's no risk of damage when you overclock without overvolting since computers have safeguards that will prevent damage.

You don't have to overclock, it's just something that a lot of us on these forums find fun. It's better to have a system that works very well out of the box than to have to overclock a system's CPU to get it to work well. The best systems run well out of the box and can overclock very well, thus yielding a lot of additional performance.

If your system already works well for you and you have no desire to overclock, then that's great! No reason to fix something that ain't broken:D. It can be pretty fun though if you're really into computers, and the people on these forums will be happy to guide you!

Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  4. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just gonna snip this out, A lot of people also use those same tools to run the voltage lean on their laptops in order to lower temps and even pump out a little more performance.

krabman likes this.
  5. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well said; undervolting is a great way to get thermals in check and for hot running laptops probably a more valuable tool.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i know alot of you undervolt and overclock.

but with the last three laptops undevolting by over 100mv did nothing for temps

would be nice to know how you guys do it

7. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    IIRC intel took steps to block undervolting, OC etc from the apps. mine stopped working after an update from windows and I just left it because i had more pressing things to do.

etern4l likes this.
  8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't do anything special, I'm 100 under, that's as far as I could go without random errors. I cant even remember how much I overclocked but it wasn't too much. I went from 90 on the temps down to mid 70s and put in a little overclock until I got it back to about 90. Nowadays that's up to about 91, 92, I suspect I need to pop it open and get the dust out. It's a two year old laptop now, I did this back then and have remained there since. The only thing that comes to mind is I never update throttlestop or overdrive, not sure if that matters.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Plundervolt protections.

etern4l and NuclearLizard like this.
  10. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Not sure, I set mine up, forgot about it until one day it didnt work.

That would explain it. ah well, thinking about an HK sku or a ryzen on my next laptop. hopefully I can feel out a Good UV and set it in BIOS.......though tigerlake is looking to be a crapshow with no unlocked announced as of yet.