INTEL VS AMD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by LaMOi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right now AMD has the better processor. its got Gen4 pcie, better single core performance, and better multithread performance.

etern4l, hfm and JRE84 like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some of the intel CPUs are equalling them in single core, but it's pretty much irrelevant for modern gaming that likes at least 6c/12t.

4. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Yea, I'm pretty sure those are the tigerlake variants. the 11th gen. Those tilt it back into INTEL's favor...and surprisingly have better GPU with the Xe graphics.

They gotta haul the H sku's ass out the door sooner than later though. lol

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think they underutilized the i7-10710U (6c/12t).. I think most companies didn't want it because it didn't use Xe/Iris, but it would have been perfect for me. The selection of laptops using it was so low though. I was a little upset when the 2021 Gram was just 1165G7 and there was no 6c/12t 15W part. Sure it's finally respectably better than the 8565U.. but not enough. I'm still baffled why the new 35W H parts are still 4c/8t.

NuclearLizard and saturnotaku like this.
  6. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    From what I understand, its the largest they can make without blowing up the die. because they cant seem to make enough to fill up the next tier up. though we should be seeing stuff in march or soo at the turn of the quarter.

I'm waiting to see how the tigerlake/zen3 rumble goes down.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    They're not cheaper anymore, but right at this moment Ryzen is on a better fab and out core and out perform Intel's lineup.
    If you need a system right now and you aren't big into overclocking, Ryzen is the easy choice.

I'm gathering parts right now to build out a SFF for my brother and Ryzen was an easy choice. The only problem is finding particular chips in stock.

As for laptops, the 5000 series mobile chips are the clear winner right now. If I was shopping for a laptop, it would be one of those but you need to define your criteria what you're looking for in a laptop specifically and then see what laptops apply.

8. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What is overclocking??

What does that actually mean? Is that some switch you can set you computer too? It doesn’t sound healthy? Lol

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Mobile Zen 3 is still PCI-E 3.0 because AMD felt notebook users don't have a need for 4.0 yet.

Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Overclocking is the act of pushing your computer's CPU run faster than it's rated to. You can do this to get more performance out of your machine.

It's quite fun to push your machine to it's limits. I got sucked into overclocking 6 years ago, and have been enjoying it ever since. It's perfectly safe if you know what you're doing.

Papusan likes this.