Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The beta mod has a 87c default limit, but excessive heat is generated more by the CPU than the GPU especially due to overclocked CPU and the RAM running at 3000/3200Mhz in these tests:

[​IMG]
    [\SPOILER]

Under normal clocks it doesn't generate as much heat. The CPU integrated memory controller (IMC) plays a major role in excessive heat production, which you won't see under stock conditions.

One thing I have noticed during my time with these systems is that CPU only load tends to heat up the GPU core to same levels, even if unused, due to the nature of the shared heatsink.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    B0B and Papusan like this.
  2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Woah, I assume this bios will be released to the public later when its stable? I'm surprised you were able to actually use overclocked ram. Which ram did you use?

I think 3.4 GHz is the sweet spot for the CPU to avoid getting the unit overheated from what I've seen other people post. How much is the CPU undervolted by on your machine? Did you try to see if propping up the back would yield lower temps? I know this sound silly but after having an Alienware m15 with 15 C less temps after simply lifting the back, I always check.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The Prema Mod is still under evaluation...
    The stock RAM that is used by Eluktronics can be overclocked stable to 3000Mhz CL 18-19-19.
    Personally I am using these Kingston:

https://twitter.com/PremaMod/status/1185006101839962112?s=19

Propping up the system doesn't make a big difference like on Clevo's etc...speaking of which, their current designs lost my interest due to their lack of inovation...

B0B likes this.
  4. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    I prefer the ram with that lower latency :) my Alienware m15 studders like a mofo in league every 14 secs or so, temps are fine in low 60Cs. I replaced the ram to Kingston with 15 CAS and the studdering is less but still there :/ something is wrong with my Alienware so I'm thinking I'mma just get the mag 15 as it seems to hold better clocks, temps AND surface temps along with good performance. Trying to see if I can get a good black Friday sale on this laptop hopefully.

5. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    New review came out

Those 58 DB fan sound readings are giving me quite the scare lol I hope it's just his equipment.

6. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "are you a man, did your wimpy computer need more memory" :D :D :D Good and very funny review:) I am a bit sad that there aren't any XMG Fusion 15 reviews in English:( Actually, the only review I have been able to locate was one where Tom changed the keycaps...

7. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is noisy. Unfortunately I will have to return it, mostly because of that.
    I need a laptop that allows gaming with a reasonable level of noise, which doesn't annoy people in the same room too much.

This laptop is quite nice, but not a good choice for my requirements.

8. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hold on, does it get that noisy all the time while you game? Like, continously? I am desperetely trying to escape from my old Dell 7577 which gets noisy during gaming. Thanks to B0B's videos I get low 80C while gaming, but it's still making raucous @ 50db at load.

9. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't tried the "Benchmark mode" (or Max Fans mode). I tried Enthusiast and Balanced with both combinations of Standard/Performance fan profiles. I believe the Enthusiast mode is around 50dB, but that is already too noisy for me.

I would say the sound profile is more annoying than the AW m15r1 I previously tested but...well, that one has terrible CPU cooling :)

I would have been happy to trade some CPU degrees and throttling for a quieter laptop, but unfortunately they don't let you set a custom fan curve, although I'm pretty sure that should be doable with a custom update to the Community-made Fan Manager

mkoev likes this.
  10. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah the AW m15 is supposed to have quieter fans but also an inferior heatsink.... wheras this laptop has a better heatsink and louder (or more annoying pitched) fans.

So neither is optimumum, you would have to take the fans out of the alienware and put them into this laptop... which I am guessing is simply not possible given that the fans are specific to each laptop.

But what I have always really wondered is: well what if you have some larger fans in a laptop cooling pad driving the airflow instead? Then you could install four 120mmm (or otherwise 140mm) Noctua fans into your laptop cooling pad. And have those forcing the air through the internal fans sort of 'coasting along'.

Would that kind of setup be any better / quieter? Assuming that you are at home (rather than mobile / moving around) and can then therefore have the option of using such a bulky external device. I'm not sure about this matter... but perhaps it might be worth investigating. Since they are really loud.