Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For CPU+GPU combined load, it won't be able to handle 70W heat from CPU. I'm referring to combined load btw

Would be better if you can provide clock speed and power draw figures while in game

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
  2. Saurabh Prasad

Saurabh Prasad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Or they didn't apply the LM properly. Do let us know if its the liquid metal issue and you are getting a repaste.

3. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Answers:

1. Yes, higher PL1/PL2 gives higher performance in CPU-bottlenecked applications. If you want to reduce the CPU power, your best bet is to just go with the Balanced profile.

2. See #3.

3. Yes, the profiles can be edited in setup.ini (before installation) or Windows Registry (after installation). This is outlined at the bottom of this post. (Page 12, #113)

4. We have not tested this but I would assume the difference is negligible.

5. Electroboost/Overboost is active in every profile that uses the "Graphics Mode 1" (aka NVIDIA p-state 0). In our setup, this applies to both Enthusiast and Balanced modes.

6. From my personal experience I think it is fair to say that Intel will not add any more additional performance profiles to this product.

In general: guys, I think you are overthinking all of this a little bit. No offense.

For example: some commentors here seem to assume that the CPU is running at supposedly unreasonably high power just because Intel wants to flex their muscles. This is not the case.

The CPU only takes as much power as it is demanded by the application. If you're running games with high CPU demands, do you want to bottleneck your FPS by artificially throttling the CPU?
    Please note that CPU bottlenecks usually make the game feel more sluggish due to dropped frames and input lag.

On the other hand, if you're running games which are less CPU-heavy, your GPU will be able to share more of the total thermal budget and thus give more headroom to NVIDIA's GPU Boost.

The headphone port is not a hybrid port. You need seperate Mic and Headphone plugs.#
    If you want to use your smartphone headset, please buy a CTIA splitter that looks roughly like this:

[​IMG]

Fan Duty and dB(A) reading according to Intel's lab testing, based on ISO 7779:

[​IMG]

The 70, 80, 90% readings are not "max fan speed" but typical gaming fan speeds. Your milage may vary.

Would be great, but probably won't be done anymore for this particular laptop.

Wifh "Fast Boot" enabled in BIOS and Windows, we record 12 seconds boot time from [Power Button] to [Login Screen Wallpaper].

In Intel's reference BIOS, "Fast Boot" is not yet enabled by default. Your Local OEM or yourself have to manually enable it. We enable it on every machine before shipping. I guess, those 20 second boot time stories come from laptops where "Fast Boot" was not yet enabled.

You can find it in BIOS Setup (F2) --> Boot --> Fast Boot (below Boot Medium Priority list)

Btw, you guys are all amazing. We are getting so many pre-orders right now, we will soon need to start training more people in production to cope with the demand.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Arondel likes this.
  4. dmitriy.paramoshkin

dmitriy.paramoshkin Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing this fan noise levels. Then in Balance mode laptop should have quite ok noise level comparable to Aero 15 oled. One thing is stoping me now from preordering laptop is no ANSI keyboard options from XMG, any plans to add them in future?

5. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well that's a relief so that means we get electroboost in balanced or enthusiast mode! In the command center for eluktronics I only saw that it's available for enthusiast mode in the reviews so I hope that's the case. I want to try my hand at playing ARK:survival evolved on this machine. I just hope this machine can handle playing games on an ultrawide too...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Very unlikely. Let me quote myself:

US(ISO) and US(ANSI) are functionally identical. A comparison GIF can be found here. In this GIF, please disregard the arrow keys on WASD and please note that this is an example from a different laptop, but the basic idea is the same:
    • the key with "\" and "|" is moved by one position, due to the enlarged RETURN key.
    • the same key is also duplicated to the bottom left, due to the smaller SHIFT key. (ISO has +1 keys over ANSI)
    General overview: ANSI vs. ISO
    I have seen the same US(ISO) layout at Apple and Logitech, so it's pretty common. Due to the physical differences between ANSI and ISO, we are only able to support ISO keyboard layouts in XMG FUSION in the forseeable future.

The HDMI and Thunderbolt/DisplayPort output will have no problems at running ultrawide resolutions. Framerate depends on the graphical fidelity of the game.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

7. dmitriy.paramoshkin

Reputations:
    Very sad, get used to ANSI layout (Russian) and ISO layout is torchure for me, small left shift is huge problem. By any chance there is a possibility to buy keyboard separatly? Surely MAG 15 have ANSI layout so keyboard should exist

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  8. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly I prefer the ISO layout. Because the larger return key is pressed many times more often for me than shift key. When i had an ansi layout, i kept hitting the wrong key by mistake (because in ANSI layout the return and shift key feels exactly the same as each other: they are the same shape, and they key above also).

Wheras in ISO i can feel the edge of the keyboard with pinky finger to locate left shift. Because it is the key on the edge there is never any confusion. So this thing you are talking about - it' never actually happened to me or been some persistent bother.

I am still scratching my head why ANSI layout exists with the thinnger return key. It's not even ergonomic, for those positions where my pinky fingers rest at the extremes of the keyboard. For example on an ANSI layout i would end up having to actually move my right pinky finger downwards and be constantly straining it to get it over from the resting position onto the (moved lower down) return key there. I stopped using that keyboard very soon. Then eventually sold it / got rid of it.

9. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know the reason, flexing the muscles, simplicity of deployment, or whatever else, but here are some results from running AIDA + Heaven together on Mag 15 (compiled from SAL discord), values reported by HWInfo, averages over 15 minutes to 1 hour, RTX2070 MaxQ:

MAG 15 balanced power mode, liquid metal, stock settings
    • CPU: 3.0 GHz, 45W, 82C
    • GPU: 643 MHz, 52W, 72C
    MAG 15 performance power mode, liquid metal, disabled BDPROCHOT
    • CPU: 3.4 GHz, 64W, 90C
    • GPU: 891MHz, 57W, 76C
    MAG 15 performance power mode, liquid metal, stock settings
    • CPU: 3.5 GHz, 66W, 90C
    • GPU: 955 MHz, 40W, 74C
    So there is definitely some masking of reported GPU power going on (640MHZ@52W / 955MHz@40W) , don't know why. We usually do it ourselfs to work around power limits embedded in Bios. If it is happening on GPU, why not on CPU also. To compare my Blade 15 doing the same:

Razer Blade 15 Base 2019 (RTX2060, so GPU clock doesn't compare to MAG), stock TIM
    • CPU: 3.5 GHz, 45W, 86C
    • GPU: 1.5 GHz, 79W, 72C
    So, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask why does the Intel white label need 20W more to achieve the same clock speeds while running exactly same test. My Blade is -0.125V, The MAG was -0.050V, but at 3.5GHz they run at 0.99V vs 1.05V, so it should be 3W difference and not 20.

And this is fundamental issue, we know what the 9750h can do, we know what the Nvidia cards can do, what differentiates the different gaming laptops is their size and cooling capability, and while the physical dimensions are known and easy to compare I have absolutely no idea how many Watts can this chassis actually dissipate, which is the most important criteria for me when buying a gaming laptop.

EDIT - corrected wrong number in Blade GPU power usage.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    elgreco14 likes this.
  10. dmitriy.paramoshkin

Reputations:
    It maybe larger but then you need to aim higher, problem with small shift is that i miss it because i aim in the right half, the same with Enter key, I aim in the left part) But of course it's just matter of taste, I not against ISO I'm just for getting more options. Because now option for ANSI keyboards in EU is some models of Dell, Apple or order laptops in Netherlands where options are very limited :( Interesting thoug HP omen and MSI GS65 in germany sold in DE(ANSI) :)