Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No offense, but this is not a valid excuse. I don't want to get my posts removed by moderator but to give you brief example: I have different laptop, with worse cooling system (no top air intake, smaller side heatsinks), with liquid metal applied CPU does not reach 95+ even in actual demanding games like Forza Horizon 4 (in my experience it stresses CPU and GPU more than other games I have tried). I have tested it at PL1 of 60w and PL2 of 90w. A laptop with better cooling system should have better results than that.

seanwee likes this.
  2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quick question, on the enthusiast and balance profile, do than fans actually achieve the max fan speed? or can the max fan speed only be accessed by ticking the box inside of the eluktronics software? I saw somewhere before where the enthusiast profile has a max fan speed of 80% and balanced has max speed of 70%, is this true? if so what are the dB(a) readings? I saw ownordisown show 52 dB(a) but I don't know if that's max fan speed or if it's the 80% mentioned earlier here.

Which laptop is this for the record? just curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
  3. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Doesn't really matter, it has same hardware but worse cooling system.

I don't want to buy a $60 game and I doubt anyone else would just to benchmark it, so out of curiosity, could you instead run something like Firestrike benchmark and post the temperature graphs? Something like this (this is not from MAG-15, it's just an example):
    fire.PNG
    This would be easier for other owners of MAG-15 to post their results for comparison so you would see whether your thermal paste was applied correctly when comparing your own results with results of other MAG-15 users. Also, you should mention the setting you chose in the Eluktronics app which controls the GPU and CPU power limits.

4. Saurabh Prasad

Saurabh Prasad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the additional Intel Optane Memory worth 30$. Also does it come embedded in the 512gb Intel 660p ssd leaving space for expansion in the second m.2 slot?

5. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    No, it takes up an m.2 slot. In my opinion it's not worth it.

Either get a samsung nvme ssd (better performance) or you can get on of the intel nvme ssd that actually have optane cache embedded into a NAND flash storage.

6. Saurabh Prasad

Reputations:
    This is what I was afraid for. I was hopping for it to be embedded into the 660p. Another question if we take 1tb ssd will there be two 512gb ssd or single 1TB?

7. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    I think it's a single m.2 slot taken up

@B0B dunno if eluktronics or XMG is open to adding features to their software but I think it'd be pretty great if you can set per game (or executable) thermal and performance profiles like in alienware command center. Then we can in theory use the button to switch between the profiles as a max fan button for example.

I also think this laptop would be a fantastic candidate for the azure cloud machine learning tuning we saw from the gigabyte aero 15.

Does anyone know if this laptop's performance with stock paste, 2070 max q and balance profile has equal or better performance to other stock 2070 max qs? Can it be possible to curb the fans to stay under 49 dB in balanced? I pretty much assume that the 2070 max q with enthusiast profile has performance between 2080 max q and 2070 max q but I worry that this laptop is louder than my alienware m15 r1... I'd consider the lenovo y740 but the small battery puts me off, alienware m15 r1 has a very mediocre typing experience and gets hot. The mag 15 is between the lenovo y740 and alienware m15 r1 in terms of keyboard, battery but some of the reservations I have are:
    1. Fan noise - seems to be louder than alienware AND y740 by around 5 dB, if it can be controlled to an extent that would make me less worried
    2. Performance - I don't know if stock it'll perform equal or greater than other 2070 max q on balanced OR close to 2080 max q on electroboost

Anyone here have personal experience with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
    jkz and dreamcat4 like this.
  8. Saurabh Prasad

Reputations:
    Should we get Liquid metal repasted because I heard it can corrode the heat sink in long run?

9. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Liquid metal does not corrode heatsink if it is made out of copper. Gallium in liquid metal alloy can damage aluminum but the middle area of the heatsink on MAG-15 is copper. Gallium does not damage copper, it will just diffuse into it over time, which is not a terrible thing and just means it will need to be reapplied after some time.

seanwee likes this.
  10. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    I noticed someone mention it takes 20 seconds for this laptop to boot from cold boot. Is that true? they mentioned they replaced with samsung 970 evo but the boot still won't speed up. Can anyone confirm this?