Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This sounds like it was not applied properly or maybe not applied at all. I have never seen 9750h reach 95c after liquid metal repaste. You should repaste yourself or if you don't want to do it - return it and ask Eluktronics to repaste.

2. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    It's rare but it might just be right. The CPU gets a TON of wattage. I remember the AW m15r1 getting toasty even after LM.

I did reveal only a minor temp decrease with LM and that was post tuned.

What I want to see if a nice balanced Wattage from both GPU and CPU but allow max fans. That'll help big time!

3. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Step 1: Install all drivers from Eluktronics MAG-15 driver page. You may also use XMG FUSION 15 driver page.
    Step 2: still having unclear devices in device manager? Double click the Device --> Details --> Property --> Hardware IDs --> Copy the Hardware ID into the forum or Google it and you shall find out, what kind of device this is.

Same as above, install all drivers. Especially make sure to update Intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers.
    Make sure all of your desktop software is running on Intel GPU.

When Optimus is set up correctly (which it is, by default), all your desktop apps are running on the Intel graphics (iGPU). In this situation, the dGPU is very much fully 'OFF' and takes exactly zero power. Thus, having the option to boost it up to G2 does not affect your "mobile work" battery life at all.

You can check this for yourself. Run a monitoring tool like HWiNFO64 or NVIDIA Inspector. If you don't get any temps, clock or usage numbers reported, it means that the dGPU is 'OFF'.

But watch out: certain monitoring apps including GPU-Z manually turn the dGPU to 'ON' to get their data - this wouldn't happen in real-world usage. So if you try this, try it with HWiNFO64 or NVIDIA Inspector.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Arondel likes this.
  4. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is because it's pulling too much power due to insanely high power limits. Try lowering down PL1 to 45W.

5. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @XMG and @B0B

I was looking at the previous post about the fan curve tables and performance profiles and I have a few questions.

1. Does running the CPU at pl1 65W pl2 100w really give more performance vs pl1 45w pl2 65w? If not, why not just make the enthusiast profile use profile 2 for the CPU since since we end up having to power limit throttle the CPU anyways to get better temps. Currently my Alienware m15 has pl 45 and pl2 75 on performance mode and that's still overkill for pl2

2. With electroboost active, I'd think it would be better to have either profile 2 or 3 for the CPU to give more thermal headroom to the GPU don't you think?

3. Can this profiles be edited after the fact? Like would I be able to change a config file to change how the blocks are arranged or is this something only the manufacturer can do?

4. Would setting the CPU to performance 1 (enthusiast) improve integrated gpu performance? By how much?

5. Is there any way that electroboost be included in the balanced profile @B0B ? I remember when you first reviewed electroboost you mentioned that the mech 15 would throttle the CPU to not compromise the GPU performance and I don't think that's what's happening here at all.

6. I'm assuming this isn't possible but couldn't a 4th power profile be made instead of 3? Like one with the following profiles for CPU/GPU/Fan - 2/1/1 WITH electroboost? Hell maybe even 3/1/1 profile might be good to keep the integrity of electroboost.

I feel like this laptop is giving a lot of power to the CPU but there is a point of diminishing returns after 50W of power and it's not worth the extra small performance gains on a CPU that can't even be overclocked. Also if windows next update that includes "favored cores" actually does what it says it will do than performance will just get better without having to feed this absurd amount of wattage to the CPU.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Own or disown full review is out

Felix_Argyle likes this.
  7. Jason Chang

Jason Chang Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey can anyone tell me if you can use an aux with integrated mic or if you need to have a separate mic? Thank you!

8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 2070 performance with electroboost looks disappointing, can anyone else confirm this? Also would a 2080 Max q 90w with gsync offer more performance than this? I see Lenovo released their 15 with 2080 Max q but I worry about that shifted keyboard, small battery and that bios headache they are going through atm....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really wish the reviewers would do tests and present data that's easily comparable to user's own machines. Like that Handbrake vs CB20. I can't compare Handbrake results, but I can CB20, even if it is short, run CB20 and Intel power gadget, I can deduct what's going on from the gradients on trends and decide if it is worth ditching my current machine.

I still don't know if this thing has good cooling or not. Nobody shows GPU power usage, I guess it goes down to 60~70W when throttling at the 75C mark. It seems to have great CPU cooling when looking at package power figures, but the power numbers are kind of weird. 70W package while playing a game? In another game dropping clock from 4 to 3.4 results in package power going down from 50 to 25W? What is it, some overvolting added at higher clocks? I saw some partial screenshots from HWInfo and the iGPU seems to use 5W always, there is like a permanent 10W difference between package and IA cores.

Can someone with it please run AIDA stress test (without memory) and Heaven together, with max fans, with HWInfo in the background displaying average values over 15 minutes of such test? Preferably with CPU TDP limited to 45W if possible (most common value in gaming laptops). That's something anybody can do at home.

jkz likes this.
  10. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, as youre talking about Powerlimits of the CPU I'd like to ask a question:

I tested the PB71EF-G which has the i7 8750 CPU with a PL1 of 50W i think and a PL2 of 90W.
    While testing and benchmarking with ThrottleStop (UV -0.125v) and CB R20, increasing the PL1 to like 70W did actually increase the results.

So I'm wondering why you say that the PLs are already "insanely high".

seanwee likes this.