Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So this is very encouraging but if they make a Linux version to control the rgb on the keyboard, wouldn't it be possible to make an sdk or some sort of API to control the rgb lights programmatically? If there is any way to ask Intel if this is possible that would be amazing considering there are projects like aorura (GitHub project to unify rgb lights across games and add lighting effects to supported games)

Also I heard recently that lenovo's laptops suffered performance drop because of an Intel feature that uses a gyroscope to determine if the machine is on a lap or table and since the software is proprietary, there is no Linux package to toggle the feature on or off and leads to the laptop always thinking it's on a lap.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

dreamcat4 likes this.
  2. disolitude

disolitude Newbie

Reputations:

For those that may be curious found the issue that was limiting FPS on my MAG 15. Xbox one controller was causing my frame rate to be stuck at 130.

Others have had these issues as well:
    https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/1486613649675847002/

To fix it, I did the following:
    1. Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings
    2. Check "xbox configuration support"

3. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But who said that? Where is it? I cannot find / see. This matters and I would also like to know why they changed it from the previous one.

This is great because they have done such an excellent job in the past on other laptops. So I look forwards to that.

Perhaps how annoying it is depends mostly on your ambient noise floor. Which is much higher for some than others. And really the most annoying aspect is the hysteresis of alternately ramping up, then ramping down, then ramping down, etc.

This is a situation where I feel being able to tweak the fan curves makes sense. At least just some outside way to access that. Even via an undocumented API or firmware mod.

I would also very much like to see this too. Perhaps what we are waiting for is the people at TUXEDO Computers to do their work first. IDK...

But yeah if it is intel's own rgb controller chip then there should be no 3rd party closed source / proprietary licencing restrictions for Intel themselves to say "we cannot do this because the other company who makes the chip won't permit us to release infos about it, etc.". So perhaps that's the reason they made their own RGB chip in the first place? Because they are going to extra efforts to be nice and kind to the open source community? ;)

4. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have now opened a ticket with Intel to share as much API and documentation (under NDA) as possible. I'm excited about support for Project Aurora but I wouldn't get my hopes up yet. The ODM's are notoriously scared of releasing API's because they might be misused and even cause damage and RMA issues. For example, LED's might burn out more quickly if driven with too extreme settings. Protections against such issues are usually implemented on a software level, not in the firmware itself.

Sounds like either a Convertible (360/Yoga-Style or Detachable) or like the famous ThinkPad feature of shutting down the HDD before impact in case the laptop is dropped.
    At any rate, XMG FUSION 15 does not have any gyroscope IC inside. So that's one issue less to worry about.

True. We have opened a seperate ticket (next to existing issues about Idle temperature) and request to allow us to constantly run fans at slightly below 30% (if pssible). This could be an extra checkbox in the Control Center.

But again, this is a minor issue. The fans are already programmed to run at minimum speed for at least another 3 minutes, even if temperatures are below "fan open" point. Usually, in those 3 minuntes, you will actively keep using the laptop, causing the temps to go up again - so the fans usually don't even fully turn off during normal "work" situations. Instead, they keep level at 30% which is the official minimum speed that is guaranteed by the vendor of the fan. You definitely won't have any "cyclical on/off" situations with this laptop. The built-in "Silent" profile will help you to minimize any temperature spikes if you work in dedicated silent environments (e.g. libraries).

Wow. The more you know...

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Shere Khaan and dreamcat4 like this.
  5. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, I hope it will be possible to compare the MAG-15 against the new Razer Blade 15 with 1660ti. I see they just started offering that option and it's about $250 more than the MAG.

6. do.tleniony

do.tleniony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @XMG can you share specification for laptop fans ? I was unable to find it on Sunon page.
    I'm considering replacing my MSI GS65 as it's build quality is poor and fans already failing after 1,5y of light usage.

7. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone other than XMG confirm gsync works over thunderbolt 3? There are SO many posts about thunderbolt 3 not supporting gsync because it's hooked up to the integrated gpu and I just want confirmation that's not the case here.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

8. andrepd

andrepd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Right, that's great. I guess we wait and see if Intel will be kind to the Free software/open-source community :p

Thanks for the detailed reply! That's indeed good to hear, that we can switch modes in Linux even without the control center (since it writes the settings to firmware). Synaptics touchpad has excellent support so no issues there, same for nvidia card and wifi cards, also Fn-keys should work out of the box if they send the standard key codes/key commands :p.

It's also great that Tuxedo Computers have their hands on a unit :) I'll wait to see their evaluation just to be sure, but this laptop is pretty much locked in for me.

dreamcat4 likes this.
  9. jkz

jkz Newbie

Reputations:
    @B0B Thanks so much for this comparison. Definitely the only two devices I'm considering at this point. A device for everything.

What are your thoughts on the Intel 660P? Doesn't really seem like the fastest SSD out there.

Also what exact RAM are are they using? They mention DDR4 2666MHz and say it's "house brand RAM", but what does that even mean? And how does it compare to Corsair, Kingston or Samsung RAM?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If the GPU is the only different thing from the base model, then the Razer is not only more expensive but also heavier and with a worse battery. I can't think of something that would make the Blade definitely stand out over the MAG 15, apart from its looks.

B0B likes this.