Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. disolitude

disolitude Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the suggestion. I had the latest Nvidia drivers, but Intel ones were old hence I clean reinstalled both drivers. Unfortunately the issue is still there.
    This has to be a drivers issue and I will try a clean Win 10 install at this point with all of the recommended and latest drivers.
    Will advise if that works for those curious or having the same issue.

2. Plodplod

Plodplod Newbie

Reputations:
    Might it be a Windows issue? As if a kind of VSync is being forced even in Fullscreen?
    I have a similar issue on completely unrelated hardware. Suspect "Fullscreen optimisation" in Windows might be to blame. Give some feedback if reinstall helped.

3. eqoa

eqoa Newbie

Reputations:
    Can Tom form XMG, or Bob confirm regarding the fan noise that was noticed in the last review of xmg fusion, i was having an eye on this one since it seems like it ticks almost everything i want from a laptop, however the main reason i want to get rid of my lenovo y530 is annoying fan behaviour, that whenever it hits 55c or so the fans come up almost at full speed, then slows down and goes off within 30 seconds period. I have to keep turbo boost off when i dont need it to not get fans turning on and off every minute or so. I have no idea why cant it start slow and stay for longer and increase if its not fully able to cool it enough. If fusion 15 acts in similar fasion without giving an option to set active trip point temps and fan speeds its a dealbreaker for me. I registered just to ask this. Thanks

dreamcat4 likes this.
  4. disolitude

disolitude Newbie

Reputations:
    Tried disabling fullscreen optimizations, but no dice. Also window mode or borderless mode doesn't help.
    But here is the best part...Microsoft Store games work fine and hit 144 FPS no problem. :D

So yeah, I'll reinstall everything and go from there.

5. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regarding your question about the fans coming on/off, @B0B has adressed this a couple pages back:
    @XMG also commented on this previously and provided specific parameters regarding this behaviour:
    Finally, welcome to the community! I'm sure you'll find the forums a nice place to share your thoughts, ask questions and provide helpful answers to others :)

XMG likes this.
  6. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Guys, I'm by no means a reviewer, so I won't even dive down that road, but I just got my Mag-15 today, turned on Benchmark mode after updating the latest 2070 driver, and here are the Time Spy Results:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/8757751/spy/8221733

This is in comparison to my 9880H w/ 2080 Max Q - MSI GS65. I've gotta say.... I'm impressed. Highly impressed. Granted, the fans are loud in benchmark mode, and I've not used it to run a game yet, but for the laptop to get that close to the 2080 Max Q, for the price I paid for it... 3% away from 2080 Max Q as far as frame rate is concerned. This laptop is a winner. The build quality is stellar too. I really like this thing.

Arondel likes this.
  7. andrepd

andrepd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First of all thanks everyone and especially BOB for his diligence.

Can some kind soul who uses Linux tell me how the laptop behaves? Does everything work out of the box in a distro like Linux Mint (these days driver support is pretty much flawless but you never know)? Touchpad, Wi-Fi card? nvidia drivers should be easy to install. Does it work with no issues? Also one thing I'm worried is the rgb keyboard. Support is often patchy even in Windows, let alone Linux.

Cheers!

8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sure rgb support in Linux will have to be community sourced like the mech 15 BUT out of the box that rgb wont be available to be switched in software. Good news is you can still use some of the effects since you can set them in the bios so I presume that it'll work once you enter your Linux, you just won't be able to change it without getting back into the bios. Another worry is that the representative said the rgb controller is proprietary from Intel this time around so there might not be an API immediately available.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These are pretty good results.

10. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    The jury is still out. We are sending a unit to our partners at TUXEDO Computers who will make a proper Linux evaluation on this machine.
    They also usually write their own code for per-key keyboard backlight and performance/fan control.

Meanwhile, I can comment on Fn key function in Windows without Control Center installed.

All 12 Fn hotkeys work even without Control Center installed.
    Keyboard Backlight is white by default. Keyboard Brightness can be controlled via Hotkey and be turned off. The setting is saved even after reboot.

The "Turbo" button (or "Mode Switch" button) works even without Control Center. It cycles through the 3 modes Enthusiast, Balanced and Silent. You can recognize from the LED on which mode you're currently running:
    • No LED = Silent
    • 1 LED = Balanced
    • 2 LED = Enthusiast
    The customized building blocks of each profile still remain even after Control Center is uninstalled. On a new out of the box unit, those settings would probably be Intel's default. But as soon as you run a customized Control Center (bei it XMG's or Eluktronic's) at least once, the customized settings seem to be applied straight to the firmware memory.

All of this is going to make Linux support moderately easy.

All other components (NVIDIA, WiFi) are pretty standard. Touchpad is from Synaptics. We'll see how the ACPI tables behave in Standby and Hibernate and we'll see if we need to adjust anything on the Audio side for Linux.

To check all components for yourself, feel free to have a look at this HWiNFO64 report.

As @Arondel already clarified, this is a very low-rpm fan noise at 30% speed that would would probably expect in low/medium load situations anyway. We will try to optimize this further but it is not something that I would worry about. German reviewers in general are just notoriously picky about things like that, especially when they are used to using low-powered laptops from Apple. :cool:

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Shere Khaan and Arondel like this.