Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. jkz

jkz Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the awesome video. Really appreciate all the perturbations and things you tried out there.

What a day!

The MAG15 strikes me as an interesting compromise between devices like the ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 1 or Dell XPS 15 7590 and gaming devices such as the Legion Y740. Seems like the sweet spot for me between more performance than a Dell XPS 15 7590 and better battery life than a Legion Y740 below 2k.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Aftershock Vapor 15 Pro also has Benchmark Mode enabled. It seems all systems have it (as per Intel specification) but it can be hidden from the end user by the OEM. @XMG provided information regarding it:

---
    They both seem to be targeted to two different audiences: one prioritizing performance and the other, mobility.

3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not expecting desktop performance from any laptops, especially the thin ones. And I certainly do not consider them as good investment. It's just other manufacturers like Gigabyte are able to allow more user options for adjusting performance, without putting ridiculous thermal limitations, while also keeping their laptops portable (perhaps not as portable as this one but close enough) and with very large battery capacity. Shame that TongFang decided to partner with Intel who does not want to allow the users to do that - like I said, every user has different ways of using a laptop and some won't care if the back area gets hot.
    This is a bad comparison. My friend has PB51EF, it is a much more heavy and more thick, with average battery capacity and it is a true gaming laptop, with 114w 2070 GPU with 87c thermal throttle limit. A more proper comparison would be with new Gigabyte Aero 15 with non-OLED display.

Interesting. It looks like this is not the best option if you value the battery life when comparing it with other laptops with 2070 Max-q.

Oh, and if I am translating it correctly, the display contrast looks really, really bad. I wonder if this is a defective display. Hopefully MAG-15 panels will not have similarly bad contrast.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019
  4. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's all depends from users needs and preferences.
    Interesting price/performance value, but mediocre display.
    Just OK for gaming laptop, but not even close to XPS 15 1080p display in terms of color accuracy, contrast, brightness and viewing angles.

jkz and Felix_Argyle like this.
  5. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm the battery seems underwhelming compared to the Alienware m15 and other thin & light models... I don't like to downgrade in battery life. Do you think with tuning this laptop can reach the battery life of competitors like triton 500?

6. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Most "review" user battery testing is total crap anyway.

Questax likes this.
  7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For reference what do you think about notebookcheck's battery testing?

I think their WiFi test is pretty accurate.

8. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Video has been approved to go live with a small tweak in the beginning.

I have discovered a bug that allows the performance profile button to act as a max fan button only. This also explains Dave2d's video and i'm going to talk about that in an upcoming video as well as revealing how to make that button act differently.

A_Grounded_Pilot and seanwee like this.
  9. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did the twitch stream already happen? I think I might have missed it. :(

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

10. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I didn’t get to jump on. Eluktronics called and gave me the green light on something and earlier today I discovered a bug that allows the performance profile button to act as a dedicated max fan button. This has been haunting me for three weeks and I finally figured it out.

On top of that, it sort of explains Dave2d’s review thermals to an extent.