Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "not a balls to the wall gaming machine" sums it up pretty good:) Fitting expression and also an amazing video, thanks for all Bob. @Shere Khaan hope you'll share some info about your XMG after it arrives. I am waiting for the Christmas sales, hopefully they shed 100-150 EUR off :D

B0B likes this.
  2. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update Bob. Do you know how loud the laptop is while gaming with the balanced and gaming profiles set through the control center? Is the throttling any worse using these profiles?

3. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Honestly what I recommend is just locking the frequency and the voltage pressing control – L. Only doing that with gaming and when you’re not gaming don’t even run MSI afterburner at all.

Temps will always be the same as the fan table scale to thermals and that’s a fixed thing.

The only way to maximize thermals is to use the Benchmark mode (MAG 15 only has this as it’s already breaking the dB limit preference set by Intel or Nvidia) as this will max everything out including the fan speed then tune from there as revealed in that “video”.

Max dB is 52 and once the maximum temperature threshold has been met, 75c/90c the decibels will also be at 52.

Good question and it’s one of those things that’s probably not going to get discussed in this level of detail in the review just for the sake of flow and time for the review.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019
    R3d likes this.
  4. Shere Khaan

Shere Khaan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I thought about waiting too, but I would then be waiting for ice-lake too at that point, and the 100 euro saving on win pro 10 was enough to get me there :D

5. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think this a very interesting comparison: MAG 15 vs. PB51EF-G.
    I'd like to hear some words about that aswell - in all aspects - in the review or here. @B0B, as you reviewed and rated the PB51EF-G pretty good already, could you elaborate on that and give some comparison of your view?

I figured out the thing with Alt+Click&Hold and used it to pull the line under the to-be-fixed point (this created an ugly 2nd line above the set one btw.), but always thought there must be a way to manually set the frequency.
    Thanks for this!

After watching some GPU undervolting video of you I thought this wouldn't be a permanent "fix" of the gpu undervolt. So I prefered setting the curve all nice and clean. But thats good to know!
    Also, thanks for your work on all of this, very appreciated and looking up to your video review! ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  6. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the video, @B0B it shows exactly what I thought and what you also said - this is not a real gaming laptop, this is a laptop for people who like to move a lot and depend on battery and who occasionally play some games which are not GPU-intensive and which do not use modern GPU features ;-) Meaning no playing Metro: Exodus on highest settings, or playing BF5 with RTX enabled on highest setting, or playing Control with RTX enabled. Or any other game which can dip below 30fps and where a 10% performance drop will be noticeable. No wonder 2080 Max-q is not available.

Oh, and Intel's reason that "enabling higher thermal limit will make external temperature too hot so it is better to disable it for everyone" is a total BS. First of all, they could do what I have seen some other manufacturers do - put a heat shield on the middle area (a sheet of plastic) instead of large air intake. Second of all, I have several laptops with metal back cover, some do get very hot when playing games with laptop on my lap, I just put a piece of cloth between my legs and middle area which takes care of the issue. And of course people who play games with laptop placed on the desk will never be affected by this.
    Anyway, thanks for such thorough testing, this is much better than other YouTube shills who just rush their reviews and afraid to criticize the free review samples in any way.

seanwee likes this.
  7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But isn't that the reason for this whole class of laptop? At the $2k range, you are not going to get anything comes close to a DTR. The better question is can this laptop play "passably" until the travelling owner can get back home his/her desktop or DTR. Laptops are the worst investment one can make. They will be constrained despite the best efforts to work around. In the end, they are BGA laptops. Buy them. Use them like shuttle heat tiles. Throw it out for a new one.

My question would be as a traveler this laptop or an MSI GL65? The fact that Newark Delaware is less than 2 hours from where I live is extremely enticing. :)

8. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hm, so max fans will pretty much always be on for any demanding game (since the 90c/75c CPU/GPU threshold will be hit)? That's a shame...

9. Sym.

Sym. Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, @B0B !

First: thank you for your hard work on this and every other review!

Second: have you tried using MSI Afterburner to set the temp limit instead of ASUS GPU Tweak II?

10. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations: