Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Cryptoxic

Cryptoxic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone notice that the latest bios removed the ability to change the power limit of the GPU from afterburner?

2. Amanda445

Amanda445 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! Has anyone had a problem with closing the lid doing nothing? It is configured to Suspend when I close the lid, but when I do that nothing happens. I have tried changing the closing lid action to Hibernate, but it did nothing.

I use Windows 10 Pro 2004, and my BIOS is at version Intel - 1072009 - QCCFL357.0048.2019.0808.1937.

[EDIT]: Problem solved. It was the flat cable responsible for the lid sensor that was poorly connected. Here is the post at XMG subreddit that solved the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/XMG_gg/comments/jnn9md/fusion_15_not_suspendinghibernating_when_closing/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  3. DaveThePilot

DaveThePilot Newbie

Reputations:
    Never saw that ability sadly how did you activate that before?

4. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funnily enough, as one of the peeps that initially reported about the beginnings of the TongFang barebones "revolution" (I own - still do - one of the first CL/1060 GK5CNs posted about over here), I'm only now on the cusp of finally getting myself a QC7.

Yeah, a bit late to the party but hey, late adopter discounts.

That is, IF I can snag this ONE remaining highly discounted barebones unbranded CL-R/2070MQ unit being sold over my local web-market when the date shifts to 11.11.

Wish me luck, coz I'm probably gonna need that unit to Cyberpunk later this year (provided CDPR doesn't pull another fast one on us).

Quick question tho, does the XMG/Intel BIOS and CC offer the same Charge Limit settings the EL one does? Coz TBH, it's a pretty important thing to have considering I've already lost my GK5CN battery ONCE already to bloating.

(Also considering that I'm probably going to have to hunt for BIOS updates and Drivers by myself in the dark, looking at the rather spartan nature of the outfit I'm getting that particular unit from)

Imma thinking these TF li-poly pouches REALLY hate to be kept constantly at 100% or something.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  5. eiraku

Reputations:
    I managed to get the order through... Here's hoping I don't get a lemon (and I don't end up regretting it).

6. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Answer is yes, you can change the charge limit and yes if you don't use the battery the constant charging wears the battery pretty quickly

7. eiraku

Reputations:
    That's nice to know. Still awaiting delivery of my white label QC71 though... Had the luck of ordering right at the eve of a big local holiday so it's an understandable delay. Again, really hoping I don't win the lemon lottery coz... I really don't want to deal with the kinda shifty-looking aftersales the folks I got it from seems to have.

(Yeah it was discounted enough that I ended up risking it anyway lol)

Also, having gone through the entire thread, it seems to have been a heck of a ride for you guys. A lot of notes were made and a lot of screenshots have been taken.

That said, anything that I ABSOLUTELY have to check once I get my unit?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  8. eiraku

Reputations:
    Anyway it's HERE. I nearly got a heart attack when I got it out and saw a bit of a gap of the bottom cover near the LED bar (same thing I remember some website getting)...

... but getting the bottom panel off (and back on) quickly fixed that and now it's rock solid with minimal gaps.

Also, for a system advertised as having "FreeDOS" installed, it had a fine unactivated copy of Win10 Pro pre-installed anyway into that XPG SX6000 that comes with the thing.

Like, I don't think the reseller ever even took the thing out for any checks lol. Was probably a straight shot from TongFang's factory into their warehouses and to me.

Unfortunately not much time to check besides giving it a quick once over and booting it up (was getting ready for a grocery run when it arrived). I finally get the whole "loose touchpad" thing now though, in my case it only really happens when you tap HARD on it.

But eyyy gon do the "fix" on it anyway later when I put my SSD and RAM in.

Also wondering now if starting from zero with my new SSD is gonna be a better idea VS just cloning the install that's already there and simply using my Activation on that (I have a Win Pro copy all ready and waiting).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  9. eiraku

Reputations:
    Okay, another update now that I've done all the initial setting up.

Have been running a -120 UV (on BIOS) all the while from the very beginning and my - lets just call it "QC71" - has been nothing but an absolute peach. Finally decided to start out from absolutely zero on my Sammy SSD (and put the XPG on "media" duties, and followed the driver installer steps as outlined. Besides NOT finding SB Connect anywhere (except for XMG's driver site, and the bloody thing is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY considering the puny speakers on this thing), everything proceeded without any drama.

Also, a shout out to @elgreco14 for that thing with the thermal pads and shorting SSDs. I haven't experienced it myself but have pre-emptively put a bit of 0.5mm thermpadding on the SSD cooler plate, just in case. Have been pressing the spot indicated afterwards and no shorting.

For one thing, after using it for a bit more, I can say for sure that I can live with the keyboard on this thing a LOT more than the one on my old GK5CN/Neo15 (updated Browns). Maybe its the layout (surprisingly, I don't really prefer numpads after all), or maybe it's the relative stability of the keys... but yeah I'm noticeably more productive on these.

Haven't yet had the time to game on it though, still busy getting it "done" for daily use.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  10. eiraku

Reputations:
    Alright, a few days later update and my unit has... still not been giving me any issues. Rather, it's been pretty much the most satisfying TongFang chassis I've used so far.

For one thing, it has been as stable as a rock. Zero bluescreens from the very first day (unlike my old CL/1060 GK5CN or even my girl's brand new Ryzen GK7NP5R).

Also, there's like only ONE very minor panel alignment issue (discounting that gap thing on the first day), and even that was just me being overly anal (my GK5CN had its fair share of these).

And the keyboard is actually NOT regularly making me miss (or repeat) keys (the GK5CN did this with both the "original Blue" keyboard and the "updated Brown" one). That clickpad is also responsive and just about the right size for heavy gesture use (and thankfully mine doesn't wobble, it only rattles slightly when tapped very hard).

It also games like champ, as long as you remember that it's not a thick fat desktop replacement and tune your expectations accordingly (and use GPU Tweak if you REALLY need the power).

Finally, the fact that I got an un-customised INTEL boot logo is just plain cool TBH. I have plans to edit it and make my own but dang, it sure looks nice as is.

If not for very slight LCD bleed (which I can live with), the puny speakers and the rather dated components... this thing would have been a total home run in my book. Getting @Prema's custom BIOS would be nice too, if it wasn't Intel-prohibited.

It's still a pretty solid hit as it is though, and hopefully Intel continues making more of these Whitebooks (yeah I saw that Tiger Lake one they just launched so there's hope yet).

Here's a shot of my fully set-up QC71 just doing it's thang:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Damibra likes this.