Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same. The 1660ti is bad compared to a 2070, I wish I had gone for the 2070 MaxQ but I was short on cash at that time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
  2. StormFalcon

StormFalcon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jarrod's tech tested the vapor 15 1660ti vs 2070, and only had a 13% improvement across various games. Not really worth it imo

1660ti is best value for 1080p gaming

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Damibra likes this.
  3. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    DLSS and Deep learning acceleration is worth the 200-250 price difference. But XMG's ridiculous price difference of 475 was just milking it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2020
    seanwee likes this.
  4. StormFalcon

StormFalcon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    True, I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but 475 is wayyyy too much imo. If those features were really important to someone, then they should wait for ampere GPUs to drop.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2020
    Damibra likes this.
  5. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there, I had the same problem and ended up returning my unit. Were you able to solve it? Now I'm lookin at the Fusion 15 again, but I am curious if the same problem persists. Even in silent mode I had the fans blow for about 4-5 minutes, keep quiet for max of 2 minutes.

Question to the XMG users. Did you get the bios/software update where you can:

quoting B0B below
    We can change the GT and GTU voltage offset as well.

The Power Mode can be set in the BIOS too.
    “Performance”
    “Balanced”
    “Battery Saver”

We can change the minimum fan duty cycle from 30% to 25%.
    We can enable and disable passive cooling mode.
    Enable and disable Speed Shift.

6. Diegoweb

Diegoweb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! How's going?

Well.... I just discovered a barebone pc manufacturer in my country which is using this TongFang QC7 chassi.
    I've read all these 201 pages in this topic yesterday and some stuff has come to my mind.

I live in Brazil and this manufacturer doesn't explicitly say anything about "Overboost/EluktroBoost" (I know these labels can change based on each manufacturer, but my point is: there's nothing mentioning in the product page anything about "extra power / extra performance".

But from what I've read, XMG said here at least twice that this laptop will have this function regardless because of Intel

So if I buy this laptop here, how can I test if I have this feature indeed?
    Usually stuff that come to my country have parts modified to lower the costs, so I wanna make sure I'm having the same performance as any other QC7 laptop sold around the globe.

Oh! And besides that.... if in the feature I need a battery replacement, can I order it from other manufacturer? Like XMG, Eluktronics, and so on? Or those manufacturers only sell parts to their customers?

And last but not least, what is the current best BIOS and Control Panel for this model?

And just to make sure, can you please take a look and see if this laptop I'm talking about is indeed TongFang QC7?
    Link HERE

Thanks! :)

Damibra likes this.
  7. Damibra

Damibra Newbie

Reputations:
    1. I could be mistaken (someone do correct me if I am wrong), but this feature you speak of sounds like the Benchmark Mode mentioned a few pages back? It can easily be enabled by modifying the registry to enable the option in the Control Center.

2. I'm not certain about the battery orders. My brand of the QC7 is XPG and I hope they offer the battery for sale if ever I need to grab one. Perhaps other users/companies can weigh in on this and advise you accordingly.

3. The current BIOS and Control Panel depends on which company is selling the laptop in my honest opinion. XPG currently doesn't offer a BIOS update on their drivers page, but their Control Center (called XPG Prime) is at version 2.2.0.8. The Intel page with drivers for the laptop though has a latest BIOS version at v0120 and a Control Center at v2.2.0.18. Intel further differentiates the laptop by 4 models: LAPQC71A, LAPQC71B (which uses the Creative Sound Blaster Drivers) and LAPQC71C & LAPQC71D (which uses Sound Research Drivers for Intel).

4. That does indeed look like another TongFang QC7. Which selection are you going for with the Avell brand (Essential, Expert or Pro)?

Diegoweb likes this.
  8. Diegoweb

Diegoweb Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice!

I'm asking this because usually replacement parts are damn expensive here. So I still prefer to import small parts if needed in the future.

Yeah, I know that. But in this chassis, since Intel is kind the one behind the development, all bios and control panels are exchangeable. From what I can see, XMG is by far the most interested manufacturer in the project, they usually are the ones posting here stuff and helping everyone else. If I could I would definetely buy from them, unfortunately that's not possible because of customs duty.... Considering State Tax + Federal Tax, I get over 110% of customs =(. I really would like to support companies that indeed work together the customers, but in this case I'm unable to provide this support.

Hmmmm. Is there a way to get this info from my local manufacturer (besides software differences)? I don't know if they would provide my this kind of info, but I can give a shot and ask them tomorrow.

I would probably get the cheapest one, Essential. Since I have knowledge to upgrade it, if needed in the future, I could easily import parts and pay less them paying this premium they ask for upgrades.
    So I would stick with Essential and get no Windows licence (I don't mind having a non-activated Windows). Perhaps I even try a dual boot with Linux, since I usually take care of many servers running CentOS and I usually need 3rd party apps to run ssh... Running Linux I could just use the native terminal :p.

Damibra likes this.
  9. Diegoweb

Diegoweb Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Since I'm unable to edit the first post (probably because of anti-spam in this forum), I will just rephrase the last part:

I would probably get the cheapest one, Essential. Since I have knowledge to upgrade it, if needed in the future, I could easily import parts and save some bucks. My currency is worthing nothing this year, so as much as I can save at this time will be better. And 512GB/16GB is plenty for my daily use.
    So I would stick with Essential and get no OS install by default (I don't mind having a non-activated Windows). Perhaps I even try a dual boot with Linux, since I usually take care of many servers running CentOS and I usually need 3rd party apps to run ssh... Running Linux I could just use the native terminal :p.
    Since I'll be the one install Windows, I think it's easy in this laptop to get all drivers and run everything as supposed, right? A friend of mine got a "dual gpu" laptop a couple years ago and he fresh install ed Windows and couldn't get this discrete gpu to work as intended. Although Windows was able to identify his GPU, any game he tried to run was using the integrated Intel HD Graphics :p. I don't know if after some months he was able to fix that.... It's weird in this case because his laptop part number has no product page and he couldn't get the proper drivers and softwares.
    This would be my first high performance laptop, so that's my only concern right now. I don't think I've to worry about that, since some guys here have done a fresh install and got everything working as expected, and for this laptop there's plenty support online, since it's a global chassis (pretty much like a global car, like VW Golf).

Oh! Since I'll be using this in a Office open to the public, and Brazil is clearly not known for being the safest country, I'd like to remove all brand related logos in this laptop. I think the top lid is just a sticker that I could remove using a dental floss and someone here have posted. I'm just concerned about the branding in the keyboard. I think XMG said it comes from the ODM with UV printed. Is it possible to remove this branding in the top left on the keyboard with some chemical stuff without destroying the painting and the chassis itself? Does anyone here have tried something and succeded?

build6 and Damibra like this.
  10. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    in Windows run msinfo32 system model will be LAPQC71A (1660ti) or LAPQC71B (2070 MaxQ)

build6, Diegoweb and Damibra like this.