Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. buffalofloyd

buffalofloyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do think it matters, not everyone is going to search around Intel's website for the latest drivers, nor should they be expected to. If one vendor is putting up stuff I'd think it only natural the other ones should as well, and add a caveat that there may be bugs or whatever. I mean, if Intel is putting them up...

I really have no problem with Eluktronics, and I like my laptop a lot, but it's a little annoying to see how each vendor releases these things differently. I thought I'd be able to go to the Eluktronics website and just download the latest drivers and BIOS, but that's really not the case. Live and learn, no biggie, I'm over it.

2. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think that there is some funny stuff going on with the power limit below 75c depending on your BIOS and if you're in benchmark mode. If you're not on 0114 and don't use thunderbolt then I had best results with 0058 but I have a 2070 which there isn't a massive room to play with. Also I'd recommend benchmarking results over raw Mhz numbers, with all my mucking around I still haven't got better results than stock, better temps yes but better scores no.

3. Cryptoxic

Cryptoxic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually updated with Intel's drivers from the Intel website including updating to the 0116 bios and the new control centre seems to have removed the benchmark mode as well. FWIW, I'm using the 1660Ti version

4. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be able to enable it by editing the install config file. There should be a benchmark flag in there set to 0 or something and you have to set it to 1 to re enable

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

build6 likes this.
  5. Howitzer225

Howitzer225 Death Company Dreadnought

Reputations:
    Quick question.

Given the issues with the Thunderbolt port, would it be safe to connect it to a portable monitor? Planning to buy one given my homebased setup.

6. build6

build6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been running mine with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWGBG3P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1XSAZLYSMSHPO&psc=1

so far so good, runs off just a USB-C cable (display is not thunderbolt so I don't know if there's any issue with that)

the panels are clearly different from the built-in display, but I managed to get the brightness/colour "close enough" for me

dpi on this display is basically identical to the built-in display's so no scaling issues

there should be several other no-name brands available, though there's also larger brands like AOC, Asus, Acer and so forth (HP and Lenovo also has (had?) options, but they seem to be 14" and not 15.6")

Howitzer225 likes this.
  7. Howitzer225

Howitzer225 Death Company Dreadnought

Reputations:
    Sounds reassuring. I'm planning to buy either from ASUS or Lenovo which I've read on some reviews aren't as vivid as laptop screens but would do the trick for everything save for work that requires color accuracy.

build6 likes this.
  8. build6

build6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    be sure to check the specifications - I found the "branded" ones to be rather low in terms of nits and available ports (and, again, the Lenovo was 14" so different ppi)

and another thing I like about the one I chose is that there's no visible branding on it

the built-in speakers are terrible though (but then so are the laptop's - what I did was, I downloaded a utility to "double" the audio through both the built-in speakers and the display's speakers for added volume, it helps a little)

Howitzer225 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    build6 likes this.
  10. Saurabh Prasad

Saurabh Prasad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    build6 likes this.