Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, it's really been baking my noodle on how they did this makes sense now. Was trying to figure out if the GPU is only 80 watts the CPU is 50 watts, how does this laptop draw more than 180 watts from the wall.
    Do you know if this was the same in BIOS version 58? Did seem to get better performance in 58, higher temps to but now I can't get above 75C°

2. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a basetech energy monitor 2000 and got the same findings. 230~W Powerdraw in performance mode. HWinfo will read out 80W, then slowly it drops to 60W in hwinfo and the energy monitor will read 210W.

If I change it to normal mode it drops another 15-20W, but then it will properly show 80W.

As you said it starts at 115W, drops to 95-100W, because it can't hold more in performance mode. And in normal mode, it just holds 75-80W.

So I was wrong hehe :) But you always have to prove it of course.

BTW, I do get 1800Mhz steady. It starts at 2000Mhz and stays steady at 1800Mhz on this 95-100W power draw.

Plow and Sven Motz like this.
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does a laptop cooler help with temps? I was considering this laptop but after reading the last couple of pages on this thread might be rethinking things.

4. Sven Motz

Sven Motz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure, It'll help but the temps are actually fine.
    If you don't expect 2070 max-p performance and just run it with the 87C Temperature Limit, it'll be as fast as any 2070 max-q.
    In combination with the balanced profile, the laptop stays very quiet and cool, but it'll have a small performance hit.

I think you'll be very satisfied if you don't mind the 100% fan for 2070 max-p performance.

IKAS V likes this.
  5. Sven Motz

Sven Motz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know that it used to work at some point (mostly from Bob of all trades, own or disown and jarrodstech videos) but I'm not sure with what bios version.
    My laptop came with bios version 63 as I just got it last week.

6. Plow

Plow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm running 62 and seeing the same behavior. So, this begs the question - how is it supposed to work? I *think* I would like to keep my settings on gaming mode/performance fan in Command Center which allows the computer to run quite when I'm not gaming. But be able to draw the most power when demanded. If I want to do that now, I HAVE to switch to Benchmark Mode which, while not awful I guess, is a manual step I would like to avoid.

Anyway, is what I described how it is supposed to, and used to, work?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  7. javidben

javidben Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys just want to ask how are your clock speed and score when running Cinebench R20? been stress testing and playing around, but when running R20 without tweaks I only get 2.9Ghz on all cores, which is crazy considering this is supposed to run 4Ghz all cores. BTW highest score I got was only 2578 on multi core, don't know how that scales with other QC7s;

Also I've been playing around with throttlestop to try and get 2 useful profiles, performance mode and battery mode. 1 is to get the best performance while staying cool (ya know to get best fps on 75C) and 2 is to get the best battery using undervolt, for now on normal document and streaming/browsing can get around 6hrs-ish (throttlestop stable -150mv core and - 170mv cache). For now I'm using all XMG drivers and CC because they update fastest, and on Bios 64 stuck with 75C. Another thing, playing Monster Hunter World and Battlefield 5 is great but playing on a small screen does not do these games justice, better to play on external 144hz IPS calibrated monitor.

To help with thermals on the hardware side, using a cooling pad does help through giving positive pressure on the bottom panel, and to keep the laptop opened because the laptop also draws air in from the keyboard (this is why the keyboard is nice and cool). Asking an acquaintance of mine to make a cooling pad using small server fans with adjustible 3000-5000rpms, and yes they will undoubtedly be way noisier than the laptops fans.

8. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which performance mode you're using?

9. javidben

javidben Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tried using both Performance and Balanced mode, only got around 100 point difference. The laptop also stays quite cool around 65-75C during benchmark test, had to keep the cinebench/ aida64 for over 10 minutes to get it over 80C (although I can open BF V or MHW and hit that easily. Since the GPU isn't active, the GPU heatsink helps cool the CPU

10. Nickjp87

Nickjp87 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys im wondering if you can help me out. I just brought the Vapor 15 pro with the 2070maxQ and I feel like my performance is really low compared to videos ive seen.

Ive undervolted the core and cache 0.125 but when I play overwatch I barely get 100fps maxed settings while others are getting 150+. My GPU core seems to fluctuate a lot bouncing from 1200 to 1540 and im getting power throttling.

Ive tried playing with the curve but still I feel the performance is rather low. I also cant remove the 75deg limit with gpu tweak. Bios 0.62.

Last edited: May 7, 2020