Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My theory was correct. You need to place an extra thermal pad to prevent it from accidental shorting, because if you don't place an extra thermal pad and you push the aluminum housing under the right fan, just below it, then the heat spreader will touch your SSD and it will short.. Quite amazed that this was overlooked in building this laptop, since on the heatspreader there is an outline for just one thermal pad...

If you want to test yourself, push very hard on this spot: https://i.imgur.com/zIJYcwB.jpg (do at your own risk though, if your SSD dies from shorting, its not my fault..)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Randomisity

Randomisity Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have updated to the 62 BIOS -

(1) will have to wait longer before I can definitively say whether or not the "waking itself from sleep" bug is solved, but so far so good

(2) it has NOT solved my "sleep occasionally turns into a shutdown" problem, unfortunately - in fact thisj ust happened to me this morning.

(that's when, occasionally, after I tell my machine to go to sleep, it trundles a long time as if it's actually hibernating... then it powers off, and when I turn it on again, it's a fresh boot, where I have to restore browser windows etc. When I tell it to manually hibernate it works fine.)

(3) it HAS "solved" the wierd situation where my machine would NOT wake from sleep upon opening the lid - previously on my old BIOS, when I close the lid the machine goes to sleep fine, but when I open the lid nothing happens and I have to manually tap the power button/keyboard keys in order to wake the machine up. Now this no longer happens - when I flip the lid up, it wakes.

Installation notes -

(a) machine did NOT automatically reboot after updating BIOS - instead it seemed to have powered itself down instead. I was waiting for it to come back up on its own but it never happened - I gave up and tapped the power and it came up fine...

(b) ... or I should say EVENTUALLY fine, because there was one scary moment in that I could hear the "windows startup sound" but had NO display for a rather long time (I'd say longer than 15 seconds) - I was getting really worried until the display finally came on, showed the Windows hello login screen, and then authenticated and put me in my desktop.

(c) I'd been sitting there with my bitlocker key ready, but... I was not prompted for it. Everything came up "as before". Not sure why that other guy was prompted to enter his bitlocker key.

3. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. 246mag

246mag Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone here experienced strange noise from the fan? Not coil whine. A noise as if the fans is nudging something? I've experienced it for about a week when the fans was on low/medium. When gaming the noise went away. Today something really weird happened. I had the laptop in my laptop in my lap and suddenly a sneeze (allergies) came to me which made med shake the laptop a little bit. This caused the fan to go haywire, it really sounded like something was in the fans way. I turned it off and tried to twist and turn and squeeze the chassi alittlebit. And now its gone again..

5. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can't seem to find it but people have posted online that using one of the lower wattages PSU in this list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eK0DUFoqzwzm5y0mqjK1yc6ME/edit#gid=1097266979 works. I was going to get the FSP FSP180-AJBN3 but don't haven't toy budget this pay. Based on a cheap GPO power meter running on the balanced profile, with a ThrottleStop undervolt and gaming the max that I got was 186watts drawn at the GPO(running on a 2070maxQ). If you're looking at something like the FSP FSP180-AJBN3 make sure that all the specs are correct cause some sites sell same, same but different models (ie weight)

6. Tyb3rious

Tyb3rious Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can use lower wattage brick it will just drain the battery if use goes beyond the capability of it.

St00pid likes this.
  7. Shinzawai

Shinzawai Newbie

Reputations:
    So this is needed/prudent when installing a second M.2 yourself? If so, where to get these thermal pads, any common specifics/sizes?

On another note, I didn't have the not-rebooting issue after upgrading to BIOS 62 as mentioned above.

Randomisity likes this.
  8. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Haven't seen this issue reported before. But I never use Sleep on my unit, I always go straight to Hibernate.
    Do you have any Event Viewer logs on this?

Haven't heard that one either. But a few other people had either problems entering the F7 Update Tool or this redditor who can enter the tool but the Update does not proceed, instead it just reboot. Looks like I'll have to open a few tickets with Intel on these single case issues. Capsule Update is a pretty convenient method (EC, ME and BIOS in one neat package) but maybe it's not entirely waterproof yet.

/edit: Intel already replied that they've been able to reproduce the same issue on one of their machines. Wheels will be going into motions now to avoid this glitch in future updates. Thankfully it's not critical because your update still went through successfully.

/edit2: Intel replied again and suggests that this happens when you do a BIOS Update on-battery, without having your charger connected. Does this apply to you?

Is your chassis bent and pressing on the fan? Or maybe the fan misaligned inside the chassis? You can open the bottom plate and check it out yourself. You could also check this video for reference, but proceed at your own risk. At any rate, getting replacement fans for this laptop is not too expensive. Part Numer THER7GK5C6-1411.

Cheers,
    Tom

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  9. St00pid

St00pid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! now I know it's there, I can't unnotice it and it annoys me. It's like when someone else pointed out the noise that the trackpad makes when you tap on it, at least they followed it up with a fix. :p

10. decembri

decembri Newbie

Reputations:
    So... My computer kept reporting 2-3 hours battery life at full charge, and it really does go down somewhat fast despite having the large battery.
    I reset to factory Windows 10 and it started reporting 8+ hours of battery again. But after installing updated nvidia drivers, it started reporting 2-3 hours again. I uninstalled them and it still shows 2-3 hours :(

I don't know what's going on.. Any hints?