Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @B0B eagerly awaiting your review too. Since i'm willing to make a few sacrifices to have a truly portable gaming machine, I guess that'll be the one for me.

Something interesting that you could maybe check for me or mention in the review : since the keyboard is mechanical, how easy is it to remove/put back in place the keycaps, for cleaning or just to create an alternate keyboard layout such as AZERTY ?

Is it something easy where the keys just clip back in place, or a tedious task that means having moving keys going around ?

invertedsilence likes this.
  2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @B0B Interesting question for you to ask eluktronics since you'd have a better relationship with them than I, are they considering adding an SDK for their per key lighting? It would really give a new dimension of gimick to the keyboard if it could be used to change color based on CPU/GPU temps, if it throttles or being able to integrate with video games.

B0B likes this.
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Legion y740 does that and here I thought I was the only one to think that was cool :)

I’ll pass it along!

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it’s anything like the G2 it’s not too bad but I’d fear some would break something. Let me see how I should go about this :)

DrManhattan likes this.
  5. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Thanks, does y740 actually have an ask though? I can't find any proof of that :(

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Looking through some XMG replies on some youtube videos, they mention that the xmg fusion has Keyboard is per-key RGB, addressable by Intel's software. Currently not open for API. So it would appear it wouldn't be available for an API but I wonder how hard it would be to reverse engineer one. Would be a waste to have a per key RGB keyboard you couldn't program....

7. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't seen them in a while but maybe @Eluktronics can answer it themselves.

8. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks ! I'm used to AZERTY keyboards so it would definitely be a plus if i could "convert" the MAG15 into one.

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Papusan and 4W4K3 like this.
  10. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick reminder, you guy are already aware that the per-key rgb was already found for the previous model, right? (the mech g2).

I don't think anybody has bothered to check yet if they are the same here. I mean... why would Tongfang have changed it? Rather than just re-use the same thing. And if there are some differences, it may be pretty similar anyhow. For example you would still expect to be sending some magic (and probably not documented) bytes over the i2c bus.

But I'm all for them opening up the API here. Just mentioning this because sometimes the manufacturer here (such as Tongfang) might be using some proprietary RGB controller chip. And have other non disclosure agreement to that other supplier not to publish the specs / interface etc. Heh - it happens all too often in this industry. So don't wait! Go look! (over on the other thread).

Too bad the search tool on this forum sucks so badly. There is always google though.