Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Helgrinds

Helgrinds Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone mind checking if their spacebar is "bent"? It's not something you'll see visually really, but if you carefully run your finger along the groove between the spacebar and keys above, you may notice the the spacebar is level with C and M, but marginally higher by the B. It's nothing I notice while using the laptop, but curious if this is common or if it somehow relates to my problem.

2. dmolnar123

dmolnar123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could someone check if the webcam works when trying to video chat on e.g. Messenger.com using Chrome browser?
    Chrome is trying to access my IR camera, even though I set the HD webcam in the Chrome>Settings as default camera. Everything works when I disable IR camera in Device Manager.

3. Randomisity

Randomisity Notebook Guru

Reputations:

crap. Now that you say it, I see it. Same here - marginally higher near B. but I don't have the problem where apping on the left side of the space bar doesn't register. but apparently I missed the "t" when I typed "tap" earlier on argggggh

4. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PSA: If you are having battery drain issues, I have noticed that the latest nvidia driver is the culprit! Uninstalling geforce experience isn't enough! For some reason nvidia's "display containers" are running amok with a bunch of processes running in the background even though I don't have any tools opened or installed polling the nvidia GPU. The best work around if you want to use the latest nvidia drivers is to:
    1. DO NOT use geforce experience
    2. Reinstall the nvidia drivers using the NVcleaninstaller (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...an-installer-for-nvidia-drivers-alpha.249085/)

When you run the NVcleaninstaller, make sure you select the following:
    1. Display Driver (need this obviously)
    2. PhysX
    3. HD Audio via HDMI
    4. Microsoft Visual C 2017 Runtime
    5. Optimus (Need that battery life right?)
    6. USB-C driver (need this for display port over usb C)
    7. Shield Wireless Controller (only if you plan to stream gameplay to another device, otherwise leave it unchecked)
    8. Virtual Audio
    Leave everything else unchecked until nvidia fixes this issue. My CPU wattage went down from an idle 12 W average to 1-2 W average.

That concludes my monthly report of "windows 10 and nvidia tries to ruin amazing laptop performance and battery life for everyone"

Edit: Turns out the issue is isolated to the latest Nvidia drivers! I can use Nvidia driver 441.66 with GeForce experience and I have no battery drain. I recommend not updating until Nvidia resolves the issue.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  5. copperbricks

copperbricks Newbie

Reputations:
    What kind of performance are people getting Battlefield V multiplayer? I can't seem to get past around 50fps regardless of my graphics settings. MSI Afterburner shows the cpu sitting at around 4GHz and the gpu at around 1750MHz so I'm not really sure what's going on. RTX is off.

6. Tyb3rious

Tyb3rious Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    BFV is trash, it hogs the CPU for absolutely no reason just sitting on the main menu. Look at task manager per core load and you will see what I mean. Also 50fps is low with the 2070 and 9750H you should be getting around 100+ typically around 120-130 depending on the gameplay. How are you testing FPS, are you using the built in display or an external one? What settings and resolution also. Is the GPU fully loaded? You can check in task manager.

7. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    So @XMG I think you might want to investigate the latest nvidia drivers. After rebooting my laptop the next day the battery drain issue persisted....
    I tried disabling the nvidia display container service in windows but then I couldn't use nvidia gpu or the control panel so I left it enabled.

The solution to the battery drain is really funny....you just have to re-install the nvidia driver but it only lasts until your next reboot it seems, will continue testing to see if I find a work around. Seems like optimus isn't engaging after reboot since my package power is around 12 W constantly before the nvidia driver install and then 0.5 W - 1 W after the reinstall.

8. Helgrinds

Helgrinds Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You probably shouldn't worry about it. I can imagine it's common and no big deal, just a byproduct of how the stabilizers work

Randomisity likes this.
  9. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Ok so rolling back nvidia drivers seems to resolve the issue. Currently on nvidia driver 441.41 (with geforce experience installed) with no issues and battery life is stable at around 9 hours with power saver. I recommend no one uses the newest nvidia drivers yet until this fix this bug as it could cause some unnecessary battery stress if those who are unwary let their batteries drain and die from the excessive nvidia optimus bug.

10. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey several of us on the older Gk5 and Gk7 chassis are having the same battery drain and high package power draw issue.

Personally am currently on 441.41 but still suffering from it. Apparently the USB C driver is causing it as well so i'm not too sure what to install in nvcleaninstall

edit: Just DDU-ed and without the nvidia driver, im sitting on less than 5w idle on battery as well as plugged in. Those numbers seem high compared to yours

2nd edit: This workaround is amazing. Less than 2w on idle battery and i can finally get my battery life back. Even did a full restart on battery and the numbers are still low.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Randomisity likes this.