Intel-TongFang QC7 (Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

IKAS V likes this.
  2. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any chances to connect external display via iGPU or Optimus on this chassis?

3. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Absolutely zero chance, natively speaking. Both external ports are linked to the dGPU. Why would you want to use the iGPU for external displays? Honest question.

Even when the external monitor is connected to the dGPU, it is still possible to render the 3D content on the iGPU. I have recently made statements about this topic in this German thread.

Another thing you could do is using a USB adapter with "DisplayLink" technology. That's like using a 3rd mini-graphics card that's inside the USB dongle, but it comes with driver conversion, input lag and resolution restrictions. See here and here. I'm not a fan.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Prerana and vs40 like this.
  4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Eagerly awaiting @B0B's review. I love my Aero15 but am always looking for a better replacement, lol...

Just wished it had a numberpad, and could charge with USB-C... I also wonder if my Razer power adapter would work with it (something more portable for travel).

B0B likes this.
  5. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess power efficiency is one reason one would want that.
    It would consume a lot less and allow you to project on a screen for a lot longer.
    For cases when you don't have a charger or you don't want to bring it around (like at conferences), or you don't have a plug available, etc

He's keeping us on our toes :D

custom90gt, dreamcat4 and vs40 like this.
  6. A_Grounded_Pilot

A_Grounded_Pilot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How bulky/heavy is the power adapter for this laptop?

7. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, keyboard is definitely a question mark at this point. I imagine it will be quite subjective in the end. And I agree that USB-C power delivery would have been a nice touch.
    According to official information from XMG in their Reddit megathread, the connector is 5.5/2.5 mm. in diameter and 12.5 mm. in length. They made a spreadsheet comparing compatible adapters.
    One can only hope that @B0B's review makes you replace your Aero 15 so that we can enjoy your review in turn too!

custom90gt likes this.
  8. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    During the day i don't need dGPU performance, i'm using it like regular office PC with external peripherals or on the go.
    With this nice battery i can leave my power brick at home if it can stand ~6-7 hours of light usage.
    With USB-C charging it would be even better, because my working monitor have one, but even without it i'm very exited about this model if i can get 6-7 hours of light office usage.
    Very interesting.
    I'm just wondering, how big is the difference in power consumption and battery life between:
    * browsing/office on internal display without external one with Optimus(=iGPU while browsing)
    * browsing /office on external display with those power saving settings.

You are 100% correct :)

9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something else I noticed - in your video your GPU stays clocked at constant 1700Mhz, because it runs pretty cool. In OWNorDisown's video I see GPU clocks jumping up and down and usually staying at much lower clock speed. I wonder if this is because his review unit is hitting 75c thermal throttle limit... If it is - this is pretty sad, considering his unit supposedly has liquid metal paste for CPU. I wonder why Eluktronics does not apply it to GPU too since it is obvious it is getting heavily thermally throttled. They can't honestly expect EVERY customer to know how to undervolt everything? ;-)

Oh, and out of curiosity, to anyone who already bought it with 2070 Max-q GPU option: what Firestrike score you get without undervolting and what Physics temps you get? Some screenshot like this would be nice to see:

fire.PNG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    The point of that information and video was to show what this is capable of after some tuning.

Otherwise you’ll be bouncing off the 75c limit and frequency throttling to the mid 1400’s after a good heatsoak.