INTEL Recall of Sandy Bridge CPU's!???

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by HTWingNut, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We need to wait for direction from Intel. This news is too fresh right now, and unconfirmed. We will report back once we have more info.

2. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So what is it a recall for the laptops aswell? I need to know ASAP before the thing ships overseas so I can have it sent back to my buddy!

3. mythlogic

mythlogic Company Representative

Reputations:
    I know everyone wants answers. We need to get clearance from Intel to share specific parts of their response as its all under NDA. So I'm just waiting for that clearance. I can tell you its not as OMGBBQ!!!!one11111!!! as the presser makes it out to be. It will also depend a lot on what Clevo does also when it comes to laptop ship dates.

Got clearance, typing it up now.. Please hold

4. mythlogic

Reputations:
    Ok SO here is the deal:

Yes ALL six series chipsets both desktop AND mobile are part of this. ALL 6 series chipsets have been recalled and are being pulled. Weather this will change the ship dates on laptops that's clevo's call, but they will NOT be able to get any more chipsets until this is resolved which is looking like end of march'ish (Note thats guided speculation NOT fact on that date). Basically the question being if they destroy and return boards already built thats a question that has been dispatched to Clevo to see what their stance is on that.

GOOD News: This all of Clevo's SNB line and all desktop boards, as the issue is with SATA port 2-5 so motherboards that only use 0-1 (5160 5170 8130 8150) are only affected with the issue for the eSATA port but can be used like normal, the 8170 will see this issue for both the optical and eSATA. The failure mode is medium to long term failure of the port. Ports 2-5 that do have the issue its not critical and so people will need to work with their resellers to get the issue fixed when updated motherboards are avaliable.

BAD News: We will wait for Clevo to tell us when we will get new boards and laptops, as I said above it could be march - april before we do (Again NOT a fact, just an educated guess from what we know)

5. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OH DEAR GOD! I am literally crying right now as I would have been totally (pardon my french) screwed. Thank you!!!

6. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    From Intel;

"This is an issues with the 6 series chipset (Cougar Point) impacting SATA ports 2-5. If you are using ports 0 and 1 there are no issues. The issue was root caused and a new stepping (B2) is coming end of March.

If you have purchased 6 series platforms, call your supplier to return them (if you are intending to use SATA ports 2-5) All the ODM’s and OEM’s are notified and are being notified and they can give you more detail (or you can use me if you have more questions)

I will keep you posted with any new information I get on this chipset."

Keep in mind that SATA port's numbering system starts with 0, so they are saying it does not affect ports 0 & 1 which is all most laptops use. Even the Sager NP8170 uses ports 0 & 1 for the hard drive bays, and only uses ports 2-5 for Optical Drive etc.

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Late March/April oh man that is one sick ETA.

8. lotto996

lotto996 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does this mean that the esata port is not affected on the 8130/50?

9. ed29a

ed29a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the eSata port affected?

10. mythlogic

Reputations:
    I would say that it DOES, as its wired directly to the chipset. However, full confirmation will have to wait from Clevo / Sager

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.