Intel Rapid Storage Technology Should I install it?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Beemo, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Every time before boot by BIOS and during OS startup.
    You can use wmic diskdrive get status in cmd. It just says OK or Fail not detailed data. Use HWINFO/Speccy/HD Sentinel/HD Tune or similar to get detailed info

2. mangix0815

mangix0815 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi @Phoenix, in this Thread you recommend to install the IRST driver. Here you say, dont install them. What am i missing?

best regards,

mangix

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Install only manufacturer supplied IRST driver and not stock ones.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. mcycleboy

mcycleboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently had a problem with my new higher end HP Envy notebook ( HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae1xx prod # 1WC57AV ) with an OEM Samsung 1TB NVMe SSD when I would get a 5 second freeze or hesitation mainly when running itunes which would occur few minutes. The system is faster than anything I have ever owned before and should have more than enough horsepower to run itunes without any hesitation at all. Seems that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) was causing the problem. I looked online for anyone that might have a similar problem but could only find tidbits hinting to IRST as the problem. I thought it might be some sort of setup problem at first. I verified the settings for drive and BIOS were correctly set up by the factory and they all were. After reading your post I got the courage to completely uninstall the IRST program and the itunes hesitation problem went completely away. My boot times are still lightning fast and I see no performance degradation. Why do they install this software on single drive large NVMe SSD units?

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Because most *not all* techs who build the laptops are too lazy to even think what they're doing, they have the list of drivers for a laptop, install every freakin' thing they have even if it was a single SSD in AHCI

Speaking of iTunes, everytime you install or update iTunes, Apples silently installs a program called bonjour on your laptop which also sucks performance and internet bandwidth as it sends everything you do to Apple.

so go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and uninstall Bonjour.

iTunes will still work fine, it will just warn you that Bonjour is missing when you run it, just hit ok and continue it will still work 100% fine.

you will notice your laptop and internet immediately get faster

7. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let me guess, you fixed it by uninstalling the application?

I do get a similiar issue but it doesn't happen that often for me, like once a week or two and it freezes my HDD (hence freezing some games) for 30 seconds. If you could check the Event Viewer app for any warning containing the ID 129 and the name iaStorA and as description "reset to device raidport0 was issued" i would really appreciate it :)

In my case it does happen only when playing games that are on the HDD (The SSD runs just fine), i have never noticed it while Steam was loaded (which i have on the HDD) either.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Sushi San

Sushi San Newbie

Reputations:
    Do I need to install Intel rapid storage technology to make my nvme ssd work?
    I have alienware 15 R2.

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    If you're using RAID then Intel rapid storage app and its driver is a must for optimal performance.
    I think Tim from MG gave us a video on how to remove itunes bloatware addons from MSI installer using 7-zip or WinRAR.
    Bonjour like functionality is included in W10, Linux so Bonjour is a waste.

ellalan likes this.
  10. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    At first I just disabled the "Link Power Management" but since I reinstalled Windows I did not install IRST.

Best Regards,

Midas Touch

macmyc and Vasudev like this.