Intel Rapid Storage Technology Should I install it?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Midas Touch, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is Intel Rapid Storage Technology really necessary? Because whenever I enabled Link Power Management I get constant freezes in-game for about 5-10 seconds.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Not necessary. Especially if you are using a legacy BIOS for any raid setups. Actually I think you can even use most of the features in some UEFI.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The only time you need to install it is if you have a RAID setup. Especially with these new NVMe Drives, it is absolutely useless as the NVMe controller handles all the SSD operations so installing it will mean nothing if you don't have RAID.

In the past, on older versions of Windows, back in the days of SATA SSDs/HDDs, it was recommended to install the IRST driver ONLY if you don't have a RAID setup as the IRST Driver has a newer/better controller driver but on Windows 10 and again, with the introduction and popularity of NVMe SSDs, it is pointless.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Papusan, Vasudev and Midas Touch like this.
  4. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Oh, I guess it's completely useless for me, I don't know why MSI installed it in the first place.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    All notebook manufacturers install it on every single laptop, don't ask me why, I guess they just blindly install all the drivers on the drivers disc without knowing what they're doing.

I remember one friend of mine bought a cheap Acer Jokebook for like 800 USD which only has a 512GB HDD and nothing else yet he still had the IRST installed from the factory, go figure! :D

Papusan and Midas Touch like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its because they use HDD. Stock windows drivers performs like crap during HDD benchmark with peak R/W speeds of 60-70MB/s and 20MB/s. With Intel IRST, R/W speeds 100-120MB/s and 80MB/s. As a matter of fact, my older lappies still use HDDs instead of SSDs.
    Usually disable power saving for SATA link in IRST or Prefer High Performance Plan to get rid off that limit. At the moment, i'm using the said tweak on my sister's new lappie with HDD.

Papusan, Phoenix and Midas Touch like this.
  7. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    @Phoenix @Vasudev

Aight, I guess this solves my problem, one less driver, don't want to install it since its causing constant freezing during gameplay, I almost smack my laptop the first time playing a game on it, thinking that I paid $3K for a laptop that performs like **** but at the end it's RST is the culprit.

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  8. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    The notification area app seems to monitor the hdd/ssd smart health so you might get a warning of imminent failure even on single drive system, though on a single driver system i have never seen any performance boots so i dont not install it myself.

Also does Win10 monitor hdd/ssd smart health anyway?

John.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Phoenix: Will CCleaner be affected by Avast buying out Piriform? Any chances of getting CCleaner Slim version 5.32 at Majorgeeks? So far, official site simply turns up blank page upon clicking Slim Builds Page.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    No idea yet, it may be rebadged with a new name but only time will tell.

This page load just fine after a while, just leave it for a few seconds: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

AND, let's post in the right thread not to hijack other people's threads!
    Avast Acquires Piriform

[​IMG]

Papusan, Vasudev and Midas Touch like this.