Intel Optane Coming April 24th

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Atma, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Intel’s Optane Memory could be the most revolutionary letdown in storage history. Announced Monday morning, these first consumer Optane-based devices will be available April 24 in two M.2 trims: A 16GB model for $44 and a 32GB Optane Memory device for $77. Both are rated for crazy-fast read speeds of 1.2GBps and writes of 280MBps." http://www.pcworld.com/article/3184...ission-make-hard-drives-faster-than-ssds.html

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Agreed. 16GB/32GB cache drives for 2017 on?

Skip.

Phoenix, Starlight5 and Atma like this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    My comment above is especially true as the Optane memory will only work, afaik, with HDD's.

When Intel offers us real Optane memory (DIMM's), then we'll have something to talk about.

Not at 32GB or 64GB either... I want Optane DIMM's from at least 256 (2x 128GB) or more. ;)

Still, will be interesting to see actual hands on testing with these in a few short weeks.

Atma likes this.
  4. Atma

Atma Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm not very interested in the current incarnation of Optane.

5. sreesub

sreesub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope we get some reviews for this. I am curious about optane. But we may have to wait 2 more years before it hits mainstream.

Atma likes this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    See:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-memory,5032.html

See:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11210/the-intel-optane-memory-ssd-review-32gb-of-kaby-lake-caching

It's interesting what a few short weeks make. ;)

Even better? Intel proved me wrong (see post #2 and #3 above...). :)

While I can't see Optane Memory being used in a notebook today (capacity too low and power usage is too high), it would make for a very interesting setup for a NAS or other desktop based HDD powered platform.

What is most eye opening? The fact that even at a puny 32GB size, the Intel Optane Memory SSD is still an order of magnitude better than an 850 EVO with more than 500GB of nand onboard... (at the queue depth sizes workstation users care about...). Even CRAPID is surpassed with an Optane Powered HDD in these lower queue depths - and that's with a RAM cache that is many times superior to the PCIe bus/interface can hope for, let alone the SATA3 interface/bus that makes DRAM's performance seem like it's on Mount Everest...

See:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-memory,5032-4.html

(See '80 Percent Mixed Random Workload' graph in the link above).

What is also intriguing is that Optane seems to be an (mostly) full duplex type of storage. Very unlike anything we've had access to in the past.

Writes don't slow down the reads significantly - and vice versa. Compared to even NVMe PCIe x4 or x8 nand based SSD's, Optane 3D XPoint SSD's are what compute platforms have been waiting for since the HDD was invented (yeah; most/all current SSD's don't do anything to alleviate this particular issue).

Aside:
    I was on the phone with a client who was considering purchasing new platforms and had almost settled on the specific components when I saw these reviews while I was clicking idly while he was speaking. I pointed them out to him and he has (so far) effectively cancelled his order. That's how important Intel Optane Memory SSD's are - even in their current incarnation of 'gen 1'.

Anandtech states:
    Tomshardware states:

With very little performance hit as the drive fills up, no need to overprovision, 64 addressable areas on each chip and effectively full duplex vs. anything we can use right now... the direction that 3D XPoint tech is pointing at is easy to see: massive productivity improvements with any and all compatible Intel hardware.

With a mere 32GB cache, Intel has effectively 'answered' the AMD Ryzen 'threat' for me. Can't wait for a power optimized (for mobile usage) version of this tech.

If productivity is the goal... (no matter what your workstation class workflows are).

Atma likes this.
  7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:

Kinda meh. For now.

Atma likes this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I agree.

(The reviewer, right?).

:confused::p:D:eek:

9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Both. Horrid execution of testing and an even worse attempt by Intel to sell something they can't quantify just yet.

10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I don't see where Intel is doing a bad job of 'selling' this tech?

The AnandTech and Tomshardware reviews are enough to show that they hit the nail on the head (with what they promised).

As for the M/B and Kaby Lake processor requirements? BAU*... yawn.

I still need to see this kit in action for myself, of course. But if it comes anywhere close to what I've read already - every single desktop installation that can't/won't drop in a 1TB or larger SSD will have the largest Optane Memory SSD that is available, included.

What is left to quantify? A 10TB HDD (fastest HDD available today - faster (sequential) than many TLC SSD drives are capable of, sustained...) is accelerated for common tasks to above any SSD now available for the same or less.

With more mundane HDD examples, the performance of the system increases exponentially for mere $$...

Home run for Intel. And; it gets to jab AMD in the face once more. ;)

*BAU=Business As Usual