1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Intel Mobile Processor Compatibility Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Commander Wolf, Jan 17, 2008.

1. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

For the GM965 chipset, you should stick with models with a front-side bus frequency of 800 MT/s (Santa Rosa and Santa Rosa Refresh). Anything beyond that (Montevina) may still work because of the similar microcode, but be aware that the frequencies Intel intended will not be what you'll experience. This is because the chipset will slow the front-side bus frequency down from 1066 MT/s to 800 MT/s, which will result in the processor frequency itself slowing down. That's why I would suggest you stick with Santa Rosa Refresh parts (T6xxx/T8xxx/T9xxx/Q9xxx/X9xxx).

Intel Core2 Duo T9300
    Intel Core2 Duo T9500
    Intel Core2 Extreme X9000
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9000

The models in bold are the best options, but are unlikely to work unless your machine has sufficient cooling for them. Additionally, support for them is more specialized by the vendors of each laptop, so I wouldn't expect them to be supported in a standard notebook (15-16").

If you can get the T9500 cheap enough, go for it. Otherwise, the T9300 is the best option, price-to-performance-wise.

2. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

A Q9000 will not work, and it being 1066Mhz FSB and requiring greater cooling is the least of the problems. Very few laptops came with the ability to use them. It also seems that some laptops are capable to be modded to use one.

Also, without some simple mods to the motherboard, running any Core 2 (besides the extremes and celerons) at an FSB that isn't the default one will force it into its lowest multiplier.

3. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

You should perhaps reword that to a frequency that the chipset doesn't support.

- GL960 supports 533 MT/s
    - GLE960, GME960, GM965, GME965 and PM965 support 533/667/800 MT/s

4. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

No, I don't think you understand me. If the processor supports, say 800Mhz FSB and you boot it at 1066Mhz FSB, it will be stuck on a 6x multiplier. Any FSB speed that isn't the one specified for that processor will force the processor to work at its lowest multiplier, which is 6x. This doesn't apply to Celerons (since they don't have any other available multiplier) or Extreme processors (since you can just change the multiplier at will). You can get around this "feature" but it requires a quick mod to the motherboard.

5. Müren

Müren Newbie

Thanks for your comment, it's realy cool to see that, i'll test next month, but today i have to see if the motherboard of my X550CC is dead or not, i hope it's alive and maybe one day upgrade my I5 to an I7 ^^ have a good day guy

peace ;)

6. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

I do understand, buddy. I think I mentioned that. It's all good. :)

No worries, be sure to let us know how the test goes!

7. lengkapgan

lengkapgan Newbie

hi all

i have a toshiba satellite m100 laptop
    with i945gm chipset wich run on intel core2duo t5200 1.6ghz 533fsb l2 2mb cache

i want to try upgrade my laptop cpu
    afaik if i wenna upgrade it i have to match the socket, fsm and bios

but so far i cant find any great 533fsb cpu so
    - can i put same socket but higher fsb for my laptop ? if i can i try to put Core 2 Duo T7600 2333 4096 667
    cause this is best for this socket
    -how i can determine my laptop is support for t7600 cpu or i need to update bios ??

thanks in advance

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 Notebook Evangelist

lengkapgan, I googled it will accept T7600. You'd better update BIOS prior to upgrading in any scenario.

9. lengkapgan

lengkapgan Newbie

well that's good that my bios can handle it
    but does it worth to upgrade as fsb doesnt match ?

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 Notebook Evangelist

lengkapgan, your motherboard supports 667MHz FSB as well as 533MHz, so there is no problem.