1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Intel Mobile Processor Compatibility Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Commander Wolf, Jan 17, 2008.

1. myty

myty Newbie

Reputations:
    guys i wanna buy a new laptop and i have money either for an i3 ivy bridge or i5 sandy bridge,but i dont know wich one is better
    i am asking for some help and some recommendantion for an laptop would be nice thanks :D
    btw i need an decent video card too

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    i5 SNB is superior to i3 IB (always).

3. Lost_secret

Lost_secret Newbie

Reputations:
    somebody asked a very good question back in 2010 but nobody seems to have answered this question on this thread.
    i am in the same situation.
    could someone please answer the following question.

Thanks

Hi there,

I've been a keen follower of this website ever since the idea of upgrading my sister's HP\Compaq 6720s laptop with a GL960 chipset came to me! Thanks to this website, I successfully upgraded her Celeron M 540 to a Core 2 Duo T5750, which runs a lot more efficiently and powerfully, and her battery life has increased significantly due to the SpeedStep technology included in the new CPU.

However, I unfortunately received the video problem, but my sister eventually worked around that by doing a Startup Repair on Windows 7 everytime she boots her laptop up, although I should be receiving my PC2-4200 memory (thanks to a tip from this website again!).

My question is, I've come across a cheap T8100 in recent days and seeing as I have a new Core i3 spec, I am fascinated into the idea of upgrading hers once more. Do you think this CPU, or any Penryn-based C2D CPU would work with this board? Also, would it be worth a BIOS upgrade before I do anything else, and by using an 800FSB CPU, would I need to upgrade my memory once more to 667 or 800Mhz?

Many thanks for your help.

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    800MHz FSB penryns will probably work, but it's always a crapshot with the GL960. Nobody can say for sure unless it's been tried. Upgrading the BIOS will increase your chances of success. You won't need to change the RAM; this chipset can't run RAM faster than 667MHz anyway.

5. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What chipset is this?

6. PapaSmurf69

PapaSmurf69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As it stated in the original post, it's a GL40 chipset.

7. napibooi

napibooi Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys.. just want to verify what chipset i got.. i really want to upgrade to a T5xxx or T7xxx
    i haVE a acer aspire 4310-300508, with a Celeron M 520 1.6ghz, 533mhz 1mb L2 cache, its a socket M

checked on the website/ manual says Mobile Intel® 943GML Express and

system controllers says moblie Intel(R) 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML/943GML and intel(R) 945GT express processor to DRAM controller 27A0

Auslogics system information: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family

Aida32: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM

Aida64 CPUID: Mobile Intel Calistoga-GML i940GML/i943GML

CPUID: i943/940GML

can i upgrade to a T7200 guys?? really need your help.. im so confused.. :D

8. Ultra-Insane

Ultra-Insane Under Medicated

Reputations:
    No that is wrong if we talk performance. If you talk same cores same clocks OK but not what you answered.

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Show me a SNB i5 which is not superior to an i3 IB then.

10. myty

myty Newbie

Reputations:
    hey i have cpu intel pentium dual core t4500(2.3 ghz,800 mhz fsb)
    Socket P (478)

so guys i am still here,i have some problems...my laptop shuts down when i am playing games,i guess he is overheating. i guess i should clean my processor and fan of to many dust;i want to ask what is the normal temperature that my cpu should run at?cuzz i can;t find that nowhere....while i am playing games core1=45-55 C,core2:46-54....yes and Gpu around 55*58,59,
    thanks

11. Deschain

Deschain Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, my parents have the HP Compaq Presario CQ71 210SV laptop, with an Intel Pentium T4200 2Ghz with 1Mb cache. The machine is out of warranty, and as it's starting to age I'm thinking about upgrading its processor to one with at least 4 Mb cache. Which processors will work?

regards,

12. PapaSmurf69

Reputations:
    It's difficult to say for sure what will work due to bios limitations, but anything from a Socket P will fit and should work. See the first post in the thread and look under Socket P. For a 4meg cache, the T7x00 series should do the trick.

13. Deschain

Deschain Newbie

Reputations:
    With a processor like this one, will they notice much difference?

14. PapaSmurf69

Reputations:
    Not really. They would in benchmarks, but unless they are really pushing things (like doing video rendering, etc.) they would probably never notice the difference.

I went from a T3400 to a T7500 and the difference is so slight I'm not sure it was worth the time involved. I only spent $5 US for the T7500, but it took a complete teardown to replace the cpu.

15. Deschain

Deschain Newbie

Reputations:
    May I ask a last question? I've an old laptop sitting in a shelf with broken HDD and a battery that doesn't last more than a couple of minutes. I'm thinking of replacing them to use it for minor Uni stuff and movies, but it's processor (Celeron 900 2.2Ghz, 1mb cache) sucked and watching HD videos was a pain, so I would also like to upgrade it. I can't find the CPU's name in the OP list though. Is it ommited or I've just missed it?

16. PapaSmurf69

Reputations:
    It's a Socket P just like your other system so the same processors will work in it..

17. Deschain

Deschain Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you :)

18. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone possibly explain to me:

1) The performance increase from Celeron M 575 to Core 2 Duo T5900?

2) The performance increase from Celeron M 575 to Core 2 Duo T9300?

This is a GM965 laptop with socket P.

For things like Photoshop, Minecraft, video editing, web programming and Office.

Dylan.

19. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Theoretically in CPU limited tasks it's about 2x going to the T5900, but it won't be much more going to the T9300. In reality you're probably not going to see anywhere near that since you may be I/O limited just as much as you are CPU limited.

20. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I know the T5900 is supported 100%. I'll be buying the T9300 on Monday to see if it works.

At the moment, Minecraft runs at 100% constant CPU usage with random lag spikes with high graphics. I'm hoping either one of those Core 2 Duos will at least remove the lagging enough so I can record it at a smooth frame rate.

Dylan.

EDIT:

Also, can anyone make any sense of the microcode in my BIOS? Here is a PDF extract of my laptop's 'latest' and 'up-to-date' version.