Intel Mobile Processor Compatibility Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Commander Wolf, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sipha

Sipha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Merom-2M

Pentium Dual-Core T2310 1466 533
    Pentium Dual-Core T2330 1600 533
    Pentium Dual-Core T2370 1733 533

These are socket P :)

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    Indeed they are.

Fixed now.

3. ed22

ed22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice guide! However, you forgot to include the compatibility with the 852GME and 852PM chipsets for Dothan/Banias Pentium and Celeron M's.

4. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very good guide. :D

Thanks for making it CW.

5. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    852 chipset is for Pentium 4.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/mobilepentium4/index.htm

Guide has been updated to include LV and ULV processors, L2 cache sizes and some older chipsets.

6. ed22

ed22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I do think excellent guide but want to input some relatively minor thoughts. They relate to the “Chipset” info.
    If I read correctly (Intel), starting with the 965 Mobile Express Chipset Family the letters “precedes” the numerals, not follows. And at least w/965 I also believe the “P” version only supports dedicated graphics no alternative. The “G” (some?) on the other hand can handle both, for example DeLL Inspirons offers the same computer w/dedicated or integrated likely the same chipset “G”, while XPS only dedicated and the “P” chipset I think. So “P” only supports dedicated and some “G” supports either so I don’t think “usually” would be accurate.

Also can some one explain this to me? If I have a 965 chipset and have CPU thats FSB runs @533Mhz and then upgrade to a CPU thats FSB is @800Mhz, does the chipset automatically adjust to 800Mhz (assuming compatible) or is that the MoBo or BIOS?

8. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    Alright alright, I shoulda clarified; 852GME and 852PM are for Pentium 4. 852GM is for Celeron (though I'm pretty sure that's the Northwood Celeron, even though Wiki lists that as "Mobile Celeron" as opposed to "Celeron M")

That's just Intel trying to screw with my guide XD

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you're right on this one. I'll change it.

If the BIOS supports the 800MHz processor, then the chipset should automatically adjust.

9. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is the truth! So hard to tell anything about their chips and CPU's, they mix numbers soooo! Much! ;)

10. Gregory

Gregory disassemble?

Reputations:
    Thanks for the extensive list.

I am curious about upgrading my Toshiba Satellite L25-S1196. According to my user guide it has the Celeron M 360. Also according to this guide, the chipset is the ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Chipset.

Although I am very familiar with computer parts and assembly, my knowledge about all those extra numbers describing the processor is limited :eek: .

When researching my chipset I found this page:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonxpress200mIntel/index.html

The page doesn't lay everything out as easy to understand as you did in your post.

My goal is to upgrade my processor to the best available for a reasonable price.

From browsing this forum, I understand that my Celeron M 360 should be physically interchangeable with any socket 479. However, I couldn't determine if the ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Chipset would limit me to 400mhz or 533mhz. Do you happen to know the answer to that delemna?

Also, as you seem to be experienced with this sort of upgrade, are there any other factors I need to consider before attempting the upgrade? For instance, would my bios be incapable of upgrading past a certain processor?

Any assistance you could lend would be appreciated. Otherwise I will probably wind up trying this blind! :D

~Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.