Intel ME Firmware (SA-00086) security flaw

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by VICKYGAMEBOY, Nov 24, 2017.

1. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As per the conversation and 10 hours back dell published a article about the fix, sadly alienware older models release date is still TBD, and for new alienware 15R3, 17R4, 13R3, by Jan you guys will get 11.8 firmware..
    i tried running the intel detection tool, and found that my system is vulnerable.. everyother company is taking quick action, but dell is giving a delayed date..

Update : New MEFW update will be out for Newer Alienware models by 11-December-2017, and for rest of alienware models by Jan 31st 2018..

http://www.dell.com/support/article...ntel-me-txe-advisory--intel-sa-00086-?lang=en danger.png

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    0lok and Vasudev like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I want Intel ME to be removed. If there's an exploit in the wild after 2-3 years then we are good as dead.
    Best course of action would be to fix the MEI w/o version bump.

hmscott likes this.
  3. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    without version bump they cant do anything, hotfix on firmware, im not sure though.. the problem with dell is they have more thn 100 models currently, they could have split into categories, like high end, mid range then the basic laptops, but they do according to the launch year, latest models, then priority to 1 year above old systems which sucks.. probably for new year we will have new BIOS.. until that, it is kinda scary..

Vasudev likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its terrible how slow the industry is with fixing this bug and indeed IME needs to be removed, closed source, unsafe and too dependent on hard patches.

hmscott, Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  5. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    specially when customers pay such nice amount for the BGA hardware, 1-2 years max life for an high end gaming laptop according to dell, rofl.. godamn logic.. removing IME would take decades.. intels decision is stubborn on that one.. stupidity level 9999

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm feeling sad for Apple laptops where they have got 2 homing devices IMEI and Apple itself.

7. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    apple is moving out from intel soon, they have already shifted most to amd.. anyways the hybrid version of intel/amd vega will be soon on apple laptops.. i wish there was stable firmware/drivers for laptops.. the amount of time we fiddle to get settings right these days is too much, a day would come, where customer dont have to tune much out of box, everything should be created properly, from designing, to components, to softwares, then charge a fair amount... intel RST got updated, and intel HD graphics as well.. i mean on station drivers.. if u want u can download.. for me no changes in system stability, and im trying to find out about my motherboard components, like which VRM chips are important, and other small ICs which needs to be cooled, if someone can map those, i can try to create a custom heatsink from a chinese vendor lol

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    And where is Alienware 17R3 ?:D

upload_2017-11-24_19-6-2.png

Vasudev likes this.
  9. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    they probably forgot that they even created a model in the name of 17 R3.. lol.. Dellienware :)

Papusan likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vasudev, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.