Intel ME completely offline

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mofoist, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Basherwalls

Basherwalls Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just posted a link from Dell’s Official forums to this guide to hopefully help others.
    This is what I wrote - I have had posts removed recently for mentioning that Dell maybe have had an internal memo to all Dell staff to not talk to any customers about the BIOS 1.4.4 issues and the lack of support after nearly a year...

So I posted this, wonder how long it will stay...

As it blatantly clear that Dell do not respond to any request for help with the Intel ME issue caused by the unfinished and unchecked BIOS 1.4.4 release which Dell issued out to the public and then pulled when they knew it broke peoples Laptops, I thought I would try and fix it myself.

If your laptop (R2 and R3) doesn’t shut down - the led lights stay on and laptop has to be hard shut down via a power button press and hold. This will cause damage to the PC and it’s caused by the Intel ME being broken/unknown.

i am out of warranty and UK Dell customer services said I could return to base for £40 and they would assess the problem but it will most likely need a new motherboard and I would have to pay, EVEN though the fault in the bios was caused by Dell!

Uk customer service denied that BIOS 1.4.4 was ever released as it’s not on the Dell Support website, so you as a customer out of Warranty are left high and dry...

GOOD NEWS though

Last night, I managed to Fix my Laptop thanks to help from someone else on another forum who has done the same fix. I have today wrote a full guide with web links to repair your BIOS but you need to be fully aware that you are taking full Responsibility if you try this and kill your laptop. I very much doubt that any problems will occur and you do need to be able to tear down your laptop, but it can be fixed.

The main risk is you are using a USB Programmer to read, insert the Intel ME again and then wiping your BIOS and writing back on a new Fixed BIOS firmware.

This can only be done via a USB Programmer as the normal Official Recovery will not touch the Intel ME anymore.

So if you are feeling brave head over to

notebookreview forums and read page 11 of this thread, where my guide is listed.

Many Thanks to Mofoist there who helped me loads with the repair as he did it first.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-me-completely-offline.825561/page-11

My Laptop now is running 1.6.1 BIOS and it’s starting up fast and more importantly the Intel ME is fixed and the Laptop now Shuts Down properly for the first time in nearly a year.

Thanks Dell for your lack of guidance in this matter...

2. Mofoist

Mofoist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Great! Never post at Dell. The thing is, Google SEO already made this thread as top hit, so don't worry your thread will be visited by a lot of people in the future regardless of any laptop OEMs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    ThomasAAT likes this.
  4. Basherwalls

Reputations:
    Not surprised at all with Dells response.
    This whole affair has pushed me away from the Alienware brand completely.
    My laptop has now been fully tested and it’s consistently working so I have sold it to offset some of the money I paid for my 17” HP Omen which I am completely happy with.
    I will continue to support this thread and give help to anyone who needs it, should they need it along with @Mofoist, but for me Alienware is no more.

I said I used the money to offset my HP Omen but that was a bit of a lie as I just built a new desktop with an Nvidia RTX 2060 Graphics Founders Edition inside so selling the laptop funded that build.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    That's nice you were able to get good price. You know dell quoted me 300$ for trade-in for 15 r3 when my PC was 3-4 months old. ~3000$->$300.

6. Basherwalls

Reputations:
    I accepted £550 delivered for a Alienware 13 R2 boxed in good condition and fully working.
    It wasn’t a bad price for the buyer or the seller and it’s still a very good portable gaming machine for the money.
    I built a custom (From a like new but used HP Omen 880 case) - an I5 6500, 20gb DDR4, 500GB nvme m2 ssd with a ROG motherboard and a Nvidia RTX 2060 6gb for about £600 so it’s just over a straight swap.
    I get 30FPS in 4k and 60fps in 1080p without any issue what so ever on Ultra in most games now.

If I couldn’t sort the Bios then the sale value of the Alienware would have been servely hit.

ThomasAAT and Vasudev like this.
  7. Extincteur

Extincteur Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Basherwalls

Reputations:
    Yes as long as it’s a 25 programmer then you are good.
    Good luck, although if you follow the guide it’s actually fairly straightforward

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    c69k likes this.
  10. Extincteur

Extincteur Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to both of you, i will order it and let you know the fallowing.