Intel kills off the 10nm process

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Oct 22, 2018.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel's 10nm Desktop CPU's are the worst kind of rumor: Intel continually failing to deliver, with Intel always promising that 10nm Desktop CPU's are about 2 years out on the distant horizon.

I've long ago given up on Intel ever delivering on 10nm Desktop CPU's. And, given Intel's legacy of failure with 10nm, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel's 7nm continues Intel's tradition of process delivery failures.

IMHO, it's only a matter of time before Intel giving up on 10nm desktop CPU's rumor becomes a reality.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    You're welcome to believe whatever you want. No need to keep showing your bias.

When AMD kept promising the moon and delivering dung for a decade I didn't hear a peep out of you. :rolleyes:

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There in lies the problem, for a decade or so we got to hear about the supposed dung AMD was offering. Now for a period of time we get to hear about Intel's dung.

5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Of course.

And I don't mind Intel being held responsible where it's warranted. ;)

But bringing just rumors to the conversation without any replies Intel may still be simply spouting, for now, doesn't advance this topic either. :)

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    did you see the review on tomshardware 9900ks? highly binned 5.2ghz 180w vs 9900k 5ghz at 200w. thats like almost 3 multiplier difference pretty amazing i must admit. i really thought they got nothing left to squeeze, now it'd be a terrible time to buy any KF/K CPU as all good silicon gone to KS.

with intel's fab size, they might be able to pump out just enough 10nm (or 10nm+++ for that matter in next 1-2 yrs) CPUs for high end desktop just like the 8086k or 9900ks and call it "desktop cpu" and keep mainstream on 14nm+++ while waiting for 7nm.

or they can just go back on their word and release 10nm NUC call it desktop to avoid lawsuit and thats it. in the end it is for their own business not to lose too much money so we'll see how they approach it.

hmscott, tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel has cost another company $9B due to Intel's failure to deliver on their 10nm foundry promises.

Intel's 10 nm debacle claims another victim: Nokia. $9B+ plunge in market
    submitted 2 days ago by Long_on_AMD
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/dv7hay/intels_10_nm_debacle_claims_another_victim_nokia/

"I hadn't noticed this until a friend who had invested in NOK, assuming that 5G would drive their stock price up, contacted me recently in some distress. Take a look at their stock chart over the last month. They held their Q3 earnings call on October 23rd, and the next morning, $6.3 billion of their market cap had vanished into thin air. The stock has gone lower since, and is now down $9.2B in market cap: $19.9B, compared to $28.7B the night before their earnings call. That's a pretty massive haircut.

What was the problem? Well, their CEO didn't name names, but during the earnings call Q&A, he did admit "One supplier let us down". Later, analyst Robert Sanders stated: "I mean, you had this issue with ReefShark with Intel’s 10-nanometer process". You can read the entire earnings call transcript, here:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

and a good article on the whole mess is here:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/nokia-made-a-bad-call-for-5g-chips-scrambles-to-rectify-situation

Now, before anyone asks, Nokia is NOT the company mentioned by SemiAccurate [Ericsson]. That is yet another sorry victim. But the bottom line is that the destruction of capital among the former customers of Intel's custom foundry business has been massive.

Intel promised the moon, and delivered only a broken 10 nm process. Some bailed in time; others continued to drink the cool-aid. Nokia is only the latest example; we may yet learn of others. Companies as large as Apple bet big on Intel 5G modems, and lost. What a mess...

But it is the impact to Intel's own roadmaps that matters the most. AMD made a series of very bold bets starting in 2012, and those are now paying off big-time. But the idea that it would be Intel's turn to "lose the recipe", just when AMD roared back into performance leadership, is simply staggering. The future is bright!"

NukeMagnet 27 points 1 day ago
    "Lmao even after losing 10B to intel these companies are afraid to speak their name. Intel is the Harvey Weinstein of companies, they just can't help but [ruin] everybody and when you catch them they send the Mossad after you"

EverythingIsNorminal 3 points 1 day ago
    "Nokia is NOT the company mentioned by SemiAccurate.
    Did he say who the other company was or how do you know that?"

UpNDownCan 1 point 17 hours ago
    "Yes, he has recently said Ericsson."

I posted about this a long while back when it was public Apple that was screwed over by Intel for failing to deliver 5g 10nm, here is the article about Nokia for a refresher:

Intel Custom Foundry’s 10nm meltdown is crushing a $20+B market cap tech giant
    Exclusive: This is the beginning of a far reaching story
    Jul 2, 2018 by Charlie Demerjian
    https://www.semiaccurate.com/2018/0...down-is-crushing-a-20b-market-cap-tech-giant/

Update to Intel Custom Foundry 10nm customer meltdown
    Not one but two additional confirmations of our article
    Aug 30, 2018 by Charlie Demerjian
    https://www.semiaccurate.com/2018/08/30/update-to-intel-custom-foundry-10nm-customer-meltdown/

Glad it wasn't Ericsson, they had a Plan B probably a Plan C and D too, as they are pretty awesome. But Intel's failure also cost Ericsson time and money.

And, here's the Reddit thread about this from back then, and some did realize it was Nokia at that time:

Intel Custom Foundry’s 10nm meltdown is crushing a $20+B market cap tech giant
    submitted 1 year ago by Thierr
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/..._custom_foundrys_10nm_meltdown_is_crushing_a/

Nokia, Apple, and Ericsson recovered, but are still stunted from that reliance on Intel. My recommendation: stop buying Intel now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.