Intel CPUs + AMD Graphics + HBM2 because of EMIB...

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by tilleroftheearth, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    See:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1200...with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

I don't know what to make of this yet, but will be excited to test when it's introduced and actually available.

My workflows/workloads don't need a DGPU - especially in a mobile platform. But on the DT; DGPU's do give an extra sense of urgency to my inputs. Even just navigating the O/S. This extra snappiness is worth $200 to me there.

If this experience can be offered in a mobile package without sacrificing battery life (for my various mobile workflows) - this could become a new standard, for me. This assumes that driver updates/fixes are fast and are supported well past a few short years for the AMD gpu's.

Note too that this is simply a 'sale' of AMD graphics/HBM2 to Intel - there is no other 'collaboration' between them at this time. And like I've said time and again; business makes for strange bed mates... This also blows the fanbois' theories of Intel's 'evil' ways out the door too - AMD is getting just as much 'help' here as Intel is by this deal. I can bet this won't be a cheap solution for customers: (Intel and AMD will want their slice of the pie) - but then again: I'm not looking for 'best bang for the buck' I'm looking for best BANG! :)

Looking into the 'meaning' of this superficial collaboration between Intel and AMD:

This is exactly what AMD needs right now; more $$$$$$$$$. More $$$$$$$$$ means more choices in which direction/level of risk AMD wants to take its' business into. The higher the risk/the bigger they dream; the greater the potential reward. Hopefully they balance this choice to keep building on what they started at the beginning of this year. (And not blow it by missing their own deadlines/rushing unready products/platforms and hopefully/especially by not over-promising/over-hyping like is their modus operandi in previous years).

Intel will still have the choice mobile platforms once again (even over Ryzen mobile) and it will get to test and fine tune it's EMIB as needed (I'm seeing their own DGPU there very soon) all while thumbing it's nose at NVidia and maybe even ARM too...

In the end what EMIB offers is a way to make Intel SoC's more profitable while also being more affordable too.

The 8th gen Intel CPU w/AMD Radeon graphics + HBM2 will be a great way to see the potential of EMIB's first implementation.

Can't wait for the first reviews. :)

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First I thought I was imagining things because it was 1 am then I re-read all the article twice or thrice to believe it.
    I think AMD switchable gfx will be common on high end gaming laptops w/o GSYNC/FS2.
    It would be nice to see AMD iGPU and AMD dGPU working together for superior game performance. Or AMD iGPU working together with nvidia GPU to share workloads among them. Vega GPU really packs a punch.

Dr. AMK and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Thanks Dr. AMK. I actually found this one (or a very similar one) myself earlier this morning.

fyi; these computer generated voice overs are really, really grating on my ears. :)

I too had to read it a couple of times to find the punch line. :)

If it's as good as the previously circulated rumors; this is great for us all.

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    So those were computer generated voice, I couldn't recognise it. Thanks.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    I was writing the same thread in the same time, you posted before I do maybe few minutes :).
    Intel & AMD corporation against NVIDIA will affect the whole market and it will ignite he competitions in the CPU/GPU market. For now no one really can beat NVIDIA, they are crowned the smartest company in the world right now, but who knows what those 2 giant companies will do together to win the market share. We have to wait and see.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Apple wants that solution to power their next gen rMBP with FreeSync 2 or something. So Intel+AMD iGPU helps Apple for a dual GFX solution to drive FS2 using iGPU for daily tasks like web browsing, word processing etc and dGPU for creative and gaming.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Don't know if the actual 'voice' is computer generated or not (and really; I don't know if you're being sarcastic here actually too. :) ) but the words are put together with a computer.

The timing and the intonation seem very off to me - just like a bad robot would do it. ;)

Each word is easily understandable - taken as a whole (together); they're a train wreck.

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Hmm... now that you point that out;

This could be Intel/AMD testing the waters to see how painlessly they can work together?

The future is happening fast...

:) :) :)

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  10. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    Intel strategy "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.