1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Intel CPU Datasheets - "Embedded Options Available" what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by HTWingNut, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    I was looking at different Intel mobile i5 CPU's and there is a field on the datasheet that says "embedded options available". Many have a "no" and only a few have "yes". What does this option mean and is it important?

Attached Files:

2. JKleiss

JKleiss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Embedded, as in soldered to the mainboard. BGA(Ball Grid Array) opposed to PGA(Pin Grid Array). BGA would not be upgrageable without alot of difficulty. PGA/non embedded is a better option

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    http://community.edc.intel.com/t5/N...e-Decoder-amp-Quick-Reference-Guide/bc-p/1377

Thought someone would say that, believe you are wrong my freind;)

4. JKleiss

JKleiss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :eek: Whoops me :eek: :eek:

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Longer life cycle support? What does THAT mean? Just that it's a CPU they intend to build longer than others?

6. othonda

othonda Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Typically Intel will give you a minimum 7 year life cycle with an embedded version of a processor. This includes the ability to buy for that long, and get technical support from engineering as well. These are used in more industrial designs versus consumer grade designs.