Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Looks like it gets warm but this thing absolutely beats on the 2700X at stock.

Vasudev, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So long as you saw his part on cooling to get 5.0 or 5.1GHz.

When overclocked to 5.1GHz, it consumed 299W while an OCed 2950X overclocked to 4.1GHz consumed 349W in blender.

Hardware unboxed showed 5.1 failed on CLC AIO and 5.0 was pegged at 100C using a Corsair H100i, same with using Noctua NH D15
    a 360mm Open loop custom could do 5.1GHz at 98C

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  3. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

1, 2, even 10 CPUs are not enough of a sample size to see if they got a low binned chip or not. I will wait for SL or other reliable results to see how far these chips can go. Regardless 5.0-5.2Ghz is simply impressive for an 8 core Intel chip. Ryzen clocked or overclocked if it could get that far lol would get just as hot and consume just as much power. Clockspeed makes a huge difference in power draw.

aaronne, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    All of the reviews confirmed my predictions, except I never expected that high of power draw or VRM overheating on the budget Z390 boards. Turns out they need those beefy 12-16 phase boards.

Meanwhile, watch all the reviews. So far, I'm finishing the Hardware Unboxed after having watched Der8auer's video. But I think, considering seeing some other titles, that I nailed it.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 9900k is 11% faster in 1080p games than the 2700x, and only 3% faster in 1080p games than an 8700k, and as @aaronne 's chart shows the resulting effect on the Graphics score even at 1080p is very small.

For such a high price premium for the CPU - and for the requisite high end z390 motherboard - not to mention a heat premium requiring expanded cooling + the delidding / shaving of the die to get the most headroom - I don't think it's worth all that expense to get a 9900k. :(

We haven't seen enough samples for sure, but at those temps without delidding and shaving down the die, it's gonna be running too hot to push the CPU past 5.0ghz all core, so maybe that's a good working OC to shoot for.

I wonder how the z370 motherboards are going to handle that power / VRM thermal load - even at stock, not to mention 9900k OC's near 5.0ghz all core.

ajc9988 likes this.
  7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    -- Kit Guru seems to report the same-ish overclock as well. 5.0Ghz All cores and the CPU runs 4.8Ghz all cores out of box. He also shows 5.2Ghz all cores with no HT.

5.0Ghz all cores in blender showing 205w CPU draw with 270w total power consumption. So 75w more draw than a 4.0Ghz 2700X isn't that far off the mark considering it's running a full 1Ghz above that CPU.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The good ones will be fine, the budget tier ones nah unless you select override the VRM limits in the BIOS and wait for failure. A z370 Maximus board or Taichi will most likely be fine even when OC.

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel Core i9 9900K processor review Guru3d.com

BIOS overclocking
    Overclocking, tweaking the Core 9000 series is fairly simple. Any and all CPUs we tested reached 5200 MHz on all cores (this includes the six and eight-core parts). The voltage will vary per processor, but you should sit in the 1.30~1.35 Volt range. The good news is that on most motherboards you can leave voltage settings at auto. Even newer motherboards have AI overclocking available in the BIOS, by algorithm it'll learn the best stable tweak. For now, we'll do it manually though. If you plan to overclock, always invest in good hardware by the way (MOBO/PSU/Memory/Cooling), the cheaper motherboards often are not well tuned or do not have broad-spectrum features for enthusiast overclocking. Also get yourself a good power supply and proper processor cooling. Overclocking with a many core processor (doesn't matter if that is Intel or AMD) is more complicated than you expect it to be. Overclocking multiple cores to a high clock frequency is a relatively easy to do job, but is managed best from the BIOS. The Guru3D reader-base overclocks mostly from the BIOS to try and find the maximum stable limit. The generic overclock procedure for multiplier based overclocking is as follows:

Your reachable target for Coffee Lake-S in the 9000 series is 5 GHz to 5.2 GHz on all cores, with a good processor. Results may vary, as we are using ES samples.

Final words
    Normally I'd say that the Core i9 9900K is the new king of desktop processors. However, price versus performance wise the Ryzen 2700X does hold ground. Also, we cannot shy away from the fact that from 4 to 32 cores, AMD has some sort of Ryzen (Threadripper) processor available. Strictly speaking, from a gaming point of view, if you have that GeForce RTX 2080 (Ti), then there's no better CPU than what Intel released today, and that is a simple truth. Whether or not you need 8 cores for that is something only you can decide, as really I am liking that Core i5 9600K just for what you can achieve with it (gaming wise). If you want the best of all worlds, then the Core i9 9900K clearly is the winner here today, but at a significant price. The generic Core 9000 series picture is that any of these procs overall simply delivers fantastic results there due to their high clock frequency. Six cores is the new four cores, but eight cores are more future proof. The 9900K does come with SMT/hyper-threading enabled and it did show the benefits of that immediately, but that makes this purchase more difficult to recommend. In closing, stability and functionality wise anything and all ran as expected with even better performance, if you are just gaming, the 9600K or 9700K are fantastic. If you need that extra bite that is close to the HEDT level, well, then there is no other choice than the Core i9 9900K as it'll bring enthusiast class level performance onto the mainstream desktop PC. Highly recommended, and let's hope that Intel will have good volume availability as this processor cannot afford to be even a slight bit more expensive than it already is.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm more interested in the 9700K at this point. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Hardware Unboxed just put its review up.

And then there's this. $600 motherboard? Wew lads. :wacko:

Edit: Looks like prices of Intel CPUs have been creeping up in recent weeks/months, which makes Ryzen 2 look like an even better value. Makes me glad I got my 8086K when I did.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    jaug1337, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.